Where do I find the Game.nes file?

PhoenixF2B

I am following the adventure module tutorial, and the first thing he said was to set up the emulator and he showed a working folder of his project with all the game data and a "game.nes" file. How do you make that working folder? When I started a new project and I hit save, I only get the option to save an MST file and it makes a graphic folder but none of the other game data that he shows in the tutorial. I am trying to test it and I'm getting a compiling error, but I don't have an emulator selected. I have the FCEUX emulator and I found THAT file, but not the game.nes. Any help would be fantastic and appreciated, thank you!

dale_coop

Staff member
To generate (compile) the game.nes file, you need to "Text > Export & Test". Then it will compile all your project script/code/assets to make your game (the game.nes) in the "\NESMaker_4_1_0\GameEngineData\" folder .

PS:if your Windows hides the file extensions, the file might just be named "game" (not "game.nes"). It's size should be around 512Ko.

dale_coop

Staff member
Croque_Monsieur said:
Mine disappeared and now it wont generate a new one, everytime I try to test it says the file could not be found. :(

The "game.nes" file (it's your NES rom file) is generated when your project compiles. If you have an error during the compilation, the game.nes file is not generated. So, the message "game.nes" not found is normal, when you have a compilation error.

Croque_Monsieur

The "game.nes" file (it's your NES rom file) is generated when your project compiles. If you have an error during the compilation, the game.nes file is not generated. So, the message "game.nes" not found is normal, when you have a compilation error.
[/quote]

Still nothing, I get this when compiling a blank project
NESmaker_4_1_5\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
MainASM.asm(2): Can't open file.
demo.txt written.

C:\Users\chris\OneDrive\Escritorio\NES Maker Stuff\NESmaker_4_1_5\GameEngineData>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

I even reinstalled the whole thing and nothing seems to fix this

dale_coop

Staff member
When you have created your new project, have you selected a "starting module"?
Could you share a screenshot of your "Project Settings > Script Settings" ?

Croque_Monsieur

Hi Dale, you're a rockstar.
I just reinstalled and it was all fixed, I believe it had to do with the upgraded extra modules (the base redux and the 2 player ones).
I did not install them this time a round and it's all good.
Have a great rest of the day. :D

dale_coop

Staff member
I think your problem was some script was not associated to your project (the "ROOT" script was not correct I think).
Don't hesitate to share a screenshot. Another solution in that case, is trying to re-import the project module (vie menu "project > import project module"), it will reset all the default scripts for the module specified to your project.

Top Bottom