NESmaker 3.1.4(Pi) Empty - Pickup item won't trigger screen

Mihoshi20

Is anyone else using the latest beta having issues with pickup items not removing All Pickups Locks to triggering screens, I.E. changing monster placements for Day Triggered.

I've created a pickup key as a monster, set it to pickup/powerup in the monster Details tab and gave it a bounding box. I've also placed it on a screen and set that screen's type within screen info to 2. The adjacent screen contains the all pickups lock tiles (Tile Type 6) and its screen type is also set to 2. Touching the pickup item makes the item vanish and the score set to +1 but it never actually removed the pickup lock tiles nor triggers the monster changes.

Tile Type 06's asm file only contains the 2 code entries required to make a tile solid and no other code.

Curious as to if anyone else has had this issue. Monster locks work as intended.

Experimenting with the previous version (NESmaker 3.1.4(Pi)(2)) pickup items and all pickups locks work as intended so I may just try and isolate the scripts related to them and port them over or backport the project to this version. Though it's baffling what exactly changed, or what I missed from the vimeo tutorials that address this.

Update: Issue Resolved. JSR countAllTargets was commented out in the HandleObjectCollisions.asm portion of the pickup/collectible assessment. Uncommenting the line restored the function.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
I may have disabled the counter.

Oh yes, you found it. The reason I did that is I intended to take this tutorial set through to explaining how that code worked, and showing how you could make a definition of WHICH tile to "unlock" and whatnot. Glad you found it! :)

Mihoshi20

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
I may have disabled the counter.

Oh yes, you found it. The reason I did that is I intended to take this tutorial set through to explaining how that code worked, and showing how you could make a definition of WHICH tile to "unlock" and whatnot. Glad you found it! :)

That's a good idea actually, defining which tile the trigger unlocks. Be useful for something like floor switches or Link to the past style crystal switches.

dale_coop

Staff member
Same here, good idea! I would be very interested in a video explaining how this code works.

dale_coop

Staff member
In the "GameEngineData\Routines\System\HandleObjectCollisions.asm" script, search for "otherIsNotAMonsterTypeCollision:"
And some lines lower, uncomment the "JSR countAllTargets" (by deleting the ";;" at the beginning of the line)

This will make the code pickup/unlock working again.

Thanks Dale it works, but creates other issues. I have Two key pickup types, boss pick key pick ups, and regular key pick ups, i also have Soul Pick ups that just give you points. Soul pick ups were working fine until i fixed the lock pick ups. Now Lock Pick Ups are to unlock pickup locks, but my collectible soul pick ups are now triggering screens and removing all soul pick ups and changing the color of my enemies on screen with soul pick ups to weird colors. The weirdest part is the color the enemies are changing to are not even the day triggered colors. Keeping in mind that screens with souls are all set to Zero, screens with regular key pick up and corresponding regular key lock screens are set to one, and boss key rooms and corresponding boss lock screens are set to three.

These snaps taken after fixing the lock pick ups. First is before soul pick ups are collected (zero screens) and second snap is after soul pick ups. these worked fine before fixing the lock pick ups.

Attachments

• game-61.png
    game-61.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,912
  • game-60.png
    game-60.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,912
I just changed code back adding the ;; before the "JSR countAllTargets" and souls are back to working fine, but of course the locks are disabled.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes I had the same problem with monster palette (pal1) on triggered sceen.
Didn’t have time to digg into it.

But you right collectible pickup and lock pickup... are the same here and trigger the screen (when code is I commented).
I would like to separate them, have different types of pickup (collectibles/ammo/keys...).

Hope someone (or Joe himself) would bring us a solution.
I started working on it (want my player be able to collect Ammo / charge his weapon) but without trigger the screen!
If I find a solution, I will share it

dale_coop said:
Yes I had the same problem with monster palette (pal1) on triggered sceen.
Didn’t have time to digg into it.

But you right collectible pickup and lock pickup... are the same here and trigger the screen (when code is I commented).
I would like to separate them, have different types of pickup (collectibles/ammo/keys...).

Hope someone (or Joe himself) would bring us a solution.
I started working on it (want my player be able to collect Ammo / charge his weapon) but without trigger the screen!
If I find a solution, I will share it

Yeah. I definitely hope, Joe or one of us in the community finds a way to work around this. I'd also like to have different weapons, different key types, and health pick ups. I'm sure the final product will have that option standard, but right now we have to work out the kinks. I'm trying to complete 3 levels, but currently with the locks not working properly you can go to level two before passing boss 1. I think something in code was changed from 3_1_3 to Pi version, because my Shokan Doro top down works fine with the multiple lock pick ups and screen number assignments per locks.

Dale you are also working on side scroller right?

dale_coop

Staff member
In the previous beta the « JSR countAllTargets«  was there and this code unlock the doors (lock tiles).
But yeah the problem of palette needs to be fixed for triggered screen. I definitively will dig into it.

And for other kind of collectible, I almost succeeded making my collectible pickup (increase the score) that doesn’t triggering the screen. And still having my key pickup working (triggering the screen / unlock the doors)
I will try to finish tomorrow during my lunch time (hope I can), and share my code here.

My main game is in fact a topdown adventure game, but to tests the different beta versions (test the scripts and functionalities) I have a plateform version using the same assets, just alternate screens.

dale_coop

Staff member
Here, my code, how I finally made it (kind of), for my game...
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=1725#p1725

What I do, is using "health" of pickup objects, to do the difference, use them differently.
If the pickup object has no health set, I consider it's a normal key lock pickup. And if there is health set (more than 0), I consider it's a collectible.

Hope you can use/try it.

Mihoshi20

While investigating the issue I was having with Pi Empty I considered and experimented with porting the game to Pi(2) but adding the score increasing code to that version would lockup/freeze the game when touching a pickup item. So there have been code changes I haven't had the time to investigate between those two similar versions alone, let alone changes from 3.1.4(Pi) and the previous 3.1.3 versions.

dale_coop

Staff member
dark_crow_66 said:
Now Lock Pick Ups are to unlock pickup locks, but my collectible soul pick ups are now triggering screens and removing all soul pick ups and changing the color of my enemies on screen with soul pick ups to weird colors. The weirdest part is the color the enemies are changing to are not even the day triggered colors.

I think I found how to fix this. You can find the code: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=1735#p1735
(I updated the link with the right one)

mouse spirit

Something i tried was making my collectable score tile into a screentype trigger.That way i just modify the tile attribute behind any "triggering object" on the game screen to make its collision "collect score" which is now "screentype trigger" .Sorry if someone already mentioned that method.

Top Bottom