Player won't move

stevenshepherd

I must be missing something really obvious because I didn't have this issue with earlier versions of NESmaker. I created a player with idle and moving animation types. I have set its speed. action step 0 is idle, action step 1 is move. I copied over the adventure movement scripts over like the newest tutorial suggested. I loaded those scripts, and then put them in with the input editor. But when I go to play the game, my character just stands there despite me entering inputs. I have gone through the videos to make sure I am not missing something. Not sure how I managed to screw this up haha!

dale_coop

Staff member
Humm sounds you did everything.
Check again your player speed in object details.
Check again you assigned correctly the movement scripts (to « maingame », on press... and on release)
And finally, check your screen, that your player is not on a simple block tile (but on null walk).

stevenshepherd

Thanks! I checked all of those and they seem good. Did I miss something about having to also load a physics engine or something? or assigning the keyboard arrows as input buttons in the emulator?

Attachments

• inputedit.png
    inputedit.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 4,598
  • object3.png
    object3.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 4,593
  • object2.png
    object2.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 4,592
  • object1.png
    object1.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 4,593

dale_coop

Staff member
Everything looks good to me.
how is your HUD, is it correctly set ? (HUD Area - Height: 2, minimum, Width: the whole width)
Which version do you use ? The « pi empty » version ?

The emulator is? Fceux? (You could try to load another nes rom to check if controls are ok)

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ok, this must be the emulator.
I will do some tests.
You should download fceux, install and configure it like in the video https://youtu.be/D24fxPMKke8 (around 09:55)
I’s Best emulator for tests and debugging.

But if you want to use the native emulator, try « escape » key to know all the controls.

dale_coop

Staff member
Great!
It might work also on the NESMaker’s default emulator but controls are not « friendly ». I prefer fceux, there are a lot of features for devs.

dale_coop

Staff member
Have you set the "Normal Max Speed" and the "Acceleration Speed" in your player's object details (in the "Details" tab)?
Have you set the bounding box (and don't forget to leave 1 pixel at the bottom if yoru game is a platformer)?

Jonny

I have the same as MaverickHunterZero. I've done everything as above (following tutorual to the letter) for a platformer. If I press left player turns left and right if i press right key but no movement at all. Hud is set up, scripts etc. I'm using mesen emulator and I can't see any issues with that as its accepting the button presses, theres just no movment.

I tried messing about with actions, putting 0 to animation type 'walk' and 1 to 'stand' i.e wrong way around and now when i press L/R the player animation runs as I hold the direction then stops when I release. This seems odd as surely it shouldn't work like that? I changed it back to as it should be.

The only other thing I can think of is that my player is positioned off the ground as it would not spawn otherwise. Not sure if that could effect anything.

I've been messing about with the settings, re-doing everything etc but nothing. Just stands still no matter what I try!

Jonny

dale_coop said:
Have you set the "Normal Max Speed" and the "Acceleration Speed" in your player's object details (in the "Details" tab)?
Have you set the bounding box (and don't forget to leave 1 pixel at the bottom if yoru game is a platformer)?

Sorry I just noticed this about leaving 1 pixel at the bottom.... I haven't tried that yet. Would that stop the player moving? I haven't heard that mentioned in any of the turorials ? How are users supposed to know these random things.

Jonny

Dirk said:
What module do you use?
In your screen, have you set gravity?

NESMaker Gravity.PNG

As far as I remember I used the SimplePlatformer module. Is there a way to check that as I'm not completely sure. I started a couple of projects when I first started learning and I may have followed the tutorial exactly and selected BaseModule. I'm fairly sure I selected SimplePlatformer. I don't know how I could check.

Thank you, I'll look at what you've suggested and see if that works....

Jonny

Dirk said:
What module do you use?
In your screen, have you set gravity?

NESMaker Gravity.PNG

Thank you so much for this! It was exactly what you said. I must have selected the basemodule or something. It works perfectly now

Dirk

I'm glad it works now :)

Regarding the 1 pixel thing... I tried it just now and not leaving a 1 pixel gap makes the player float 1 pixel above the ground.
The bounding box and collision detection can be a somewhat finicky thing. At the moment I have a problem with a tiny player character. He is 8 pixels tall so the bounding box is quite small. This can cause him to glitch through tiles when he falls from the top of the screen, because (I think) he gets to fast for the collision detection and the bounding box is too narrow. I can't (don't want to) make it bigger, because I would have empty, invisible sprites that still count towards the NES sprite budget.

Well, long story short ^^ the NES has a lot constraints, but as a positive side effect it forces us to get creative :)

Top Bottom