Suggestions: Copy/Paste Pixel Editor, Undo

TurtleRescueNES

Hi Joe,

Thanks again for all the hard work you've done. I've enjoyed working on the editor and put together a couple ideas for possible enhancements.

So yesterday on Facebook I was saying I was having issues with pasting images into the pixel editor. I see now my error. I assumed I was to click on the target pixel and that is where the paste would go. So that's why after clicking on a certain spot, I'd move the mouse before pasting and that resulted in a misfire. It would be nice if the target paste was in a movable box, like other graphical editor. If you paste and misfire, you can continue to move it before committing.

Another feature that would be great is an undo. Now sure, we can just keep saving as we go along, and if we screw up something, just abort. But I'm sure someone is bound to mess up after a long session and wish they had that undo feature.

Thanks! :D

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there! Thanks! :)

Yeah, I've made a note to check on possible better scenarios for paste. One of my suggestions was using the selection tool would change the cursor and highlight a pixel, to make it easier to see where a paste would happen. But I'm talking things over with Josh.

A global save feature is tougher, but within sections, there already are levels of undo. The pixel editor has levels of undo, and I believe the text editor has as well. Interfaces like this will probably maintain independent levels of undo, but I don't see the tool as a whole having an undo function globally if that makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestions! They're invaluable! And glad you had fun with the tool - obviously, this is just the beginning of things. :)

TheGeek

Thanks for helping with the beta!
The pixel editor does have undo/redo functionality via the CTRL-Z / CTRL-Y hotkeys. If I remember correctly, I set it to undo/redo a pixel at a time, so if you paste a big image, it might take several seconds of holding down undo. One thing I do before pasting is I zoom in a bit, and then turn on the pixel grid. That way I know I'm hitting the right pixel. As for undo/redo, on my list is to support undoing an entire paste, as well as entire actions from the other tools. That should be in the next version of the tool!

--Josh

Bucket Mouse

Cut-paste on the Special Screens would be great. Like you would drag a box around a giant graphic, then paste it into the title screen. As it is I have to select one tile, move the cursor, select another tile, move the cursor again, on and on. It gets tedious, and it's cramp-inducing if you use a mouse. if you have a touchscreen it gets a lot easier, but it's still a chore.

TheGeek

Yes, The special screen editor is going to get a huge re-write. I'll be incorporating a lot of the abilities of the pixel editor into it. I am totally agreeing with you about cramping hands. One thing that might help for now is the arrow keys move the position of the cursor on the screen. Please be assured though, that interface will greatly improve.

timkilgore

Being able to select a section and drag to places would be so helpful too. Every sprite sheet i make is misaligned and it's driving me crazy

AncientCreative

I missed this before posting. I agree with your recommendations. I will try the hot keys although ultimately a button would be cool. Otherwise having a blast!

Tory

Top Bottom