Resource Sharing

WolfMerrik

Re: Resource Sharing

Post by WolfMerrik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 am

I have not yet got into even using paths yet, but its a really awesome idea, and works really effectively. That might be the next thing I start trying to learn.
ImageWant to download & share Image NESMaker Resources? Check out My Files on www.NESMakerFiles.com Image
darkhog

Post by darkhog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am

Can you make it so downloading stuff won't need an account, only uploading?
WolfMerrik

Post by WolfMerrik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:31 pm

darkhog wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am
There are several reasons why I want to continue to do this the way it is. It is, I promise, very quick and painless to register though.
ImageWant to download & share Image NESMaker Resources? Check out My Files on www.NESMakerFiles.com Image
darkhog

Post by darkhog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:35 pm

I have a 4 letters acronym for you why you may not want to do this the way you do: GDPR.
MistSonata

Post by MistSonata » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:01 pm

WolfMerrik wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:31 pm
darkhog wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am
There are several reasons why I want to continue to do this the way it is. It is, I promise, very quick and painless to register though.
Could you expand on this? I'm curious about exactly what reasons you'd have to make it registered users only.
WolfMerrik

Post by WolfMerrik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:47 pm

@MistSonata - Mainly to just give it a sense of community, users can comment on files/rate files. This helps to get a better sense of knowing if the files uploaded even work, it lets the author/creator possible get to see how they are being used, even giving them a sense of accomplishment in sharing what they added to the community. It also helps encourage people to come back, and possibly share some of their resources themselves.

I do understand people may have privacy concerns, and I suppose I can always make a "nag" screen stating the above listed "why" I would encourage people to register when downloading as a guest, that I think at least would make things open a bit more, and provides a fair compromise in my opinion.

I am curious if you think that works, and what you think, I definitely respect your posts and contributions to the NESMaker community, so definitely hit me back =P

@darkhog - I am curious what you mean by this, I don't know what that means or how it pertains to me. Sharing an article would be awesome and I would appreciate it.
WolfMerrik

Post by WolfMerrik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Well, the nag screen and guest download worked (for me), it also stores a value for guest downloads, I suppose, this at least does still add to the "ranking" of a file via popularity, which although not providing feedback, does still take away some of my concerns with open downloads. so that is something.
MistSonata

Post by MistSonata » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Well, the way I'm seeing it, between this forum and the Facebook group, NESmaker isn't exactly wanting for a thriving community. The ability to have a searchable asset sharing site is the bigger need. I totally understand requiring registration for stuff like uploading, rating, commenting, etc, as that's pretty standard for deterring troublemakers, but if you're not contributing to the website it seems a little superfluous, especially if you just need a quick asset and feel like the forums and facebook group are satisfying your social needs just fine. I'd recommend allowing downloads to unregistered users and just encouraging people to register and participate on the download screen or something.
WolfMerrik

Post by WolfMerrik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I was unaware of the facebook group, although I do not use facebook myself so this is probably why haha.
I do see your point about it being somewhat undeeded for people to register if they are just downloading a file, and will leave it open to all with the nag message.
MistSonata

Post by MistSonata » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am

WolfMerrik wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm
I was unaware of the facebook group, although I do not use facebook myself so this is probably why haha.
I do see your point about it being somewhat undeeded for people to register if they are just downloading a file, and will leave it open to all with the nag message.
Good to hear! I'm sure plenty of people will want to register to share the stuff they've made.