NESMaker not working with kazzo flasher

cargo

spam bots yandex
I am having trouble getting my new kazzo flasher to work with NESMaker and was wondering if anybody here could help. When I select "Make Cart" from NESMaker's "Test" menu I can see the usual asm test messages but the screen returns to NESMaker immediately after that (as if I chose one of the "Export" options). I don't see a dumping progress screen like shown near the end in the adventure tutorial youtube video. If I run the program "INL retro-prog v1.1beta.exe" that comes with the kazzo driver package and press the "Test" button (supposedly used to test the presence of the flasher) then I get the message "Test Fails: 1". Thing's I've tried:

+ I downloaded the drivers from Infinite Lives website.
+ I read the readme.txt and created the INF drivers as per the readme's instructions.
+ I restarted Windows 10 and disabled driver signature enforcement.
+ I can see the flasher correctly listed in Windows Device Manager windows as "INL Retro-Prog". Windows reports the device as working properly.
+ The kazzo board has the switch in the "RUN" position and shows a red light when plugged in.
+ I visited forum thread at the nesdev forums but doesn't say anything about this problem.
​+ I tried different USB ports on my machine and restarted several times with no luck.
​+ I made sure the NES cart's front side faces correctly.

Before I assume the flasher as defective do you guys have any suggestions? Could really use some help.

dale_coop

Staff member
You use the last version of NESMaker (4.0.11)?
Did you plug your cart on the correct side?

PS: it works well for me, I installed the drivers that come with NESMaker (in the "Flasher\INL_KazzoFlasherDriverPackage" folder)

dale_coop

Staff member
I would suggest, to uninstall it and try again:
Reinstall using the drivers from the "NESMaker\Flasher\INL_KazzoFlasherDriverPackage\" folder. Nothing else to do (no need to make an INF file or anything... I didn't).

cargo

spam bots yandex
Thank you Dale. That did it. I was using the wrong drivers. It would have never occurred to scavenge NESMaker's folder. I didn't find any details or links anywhere pointing this out. I think this needs to be documented somewhere and easier to find.

dale_coop

Staff member
In fact this kazzo flasher model is specifically made for NESMaker, if I remember correctly ;)

Retrobuster

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but any other thoughts as to why this wouldn't be working? I'm having the same issue that it starts of like I'm exporting and testing but as as soon as I hit a button to continue, it simply closes the window and does nothing. I've uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times. I've tried the included drivers and the new ones from the website. Cart is facing the correct direction as well. I don't see any a switch next to the "run" space on the board as the OP mentioned, but hoping that's not anything important. Any suggestions?

cargo

spam bots yandex
It probably means your flasher is not being recognized by Windows (you didn't say which version).
Check your Device Manager to see if the flasher device is listed. It should look something like this:

yjfhjhg.jpg

The only drivers you need to use are those included with NESMaker. If you used a different source chances are your Windows may still be using them. You can try a manual uninstall from the Device Manager with the "remove driver files" option. Shut down your laptop (don't restart), turn it on and try again. Also try a different USB port.

I also suggest you open a support ticket at the Infinite Lives website.

Also, if you need additional help I've done more than my fair share digging around fixing drivers, so I may be able to help. :)

Retrobuster

Windows definitely is recognizing the device in the device manager. I'm running Windows 10 64bit and the flasher is the newest one - just got in the mail yesterday. I've sent INF an e-mail so just waiting to hear back. Will let you know what happens!

dale_coop

Staff member
Retrobuster said:
Windows definitely is recognizing the device in the device manager. I'm running Windows 10 64bit and the flasher is the newest one - just got in the mail yesterday. I've sent INF an e-mail so just waiting to hear back. Will let you know what happens!

Have you tried to update the drivers with the ones that are locatated in the NESMaker\Flasher\INL_KazzoFlasherDriverPackage\ folder ?

Retrobuster

Yes. I've tried the included drivers and the ones from INF's website. Do I need to do the bit in the readme about "running the host application"? I couldn't seem to figure that step out but don't know if its necessary to get it working.

dale_coop

Staff member
No... just need to install the drivers (remove the previous ones).
And then, use "Make Cart" for your game in the NESMaker menu.

Retrobuster

Still not working. I was watching an older video on youtube - Joe's demo of how the flasher works and there's a part where he's looking in the "ignore" folder inside a folder called "host". In that folder, he renames the file he wants to flash to "game.nes". Right now, the only .nes file that's in that folder for me is "Nesmaker.nes". I renamed that to "game.nes" and it still didn't work, but I noticed when I run the make cart operation in NESMaker, it creates a game.nes file in the "host" folder. Is that supposed to happen like that, because in that youtube video, it seems like the game.nes file should be in the "ignore" folder, but maybe I've got that all wrong or it's since been changed in an update. Maybe this is related though?

the_8bit_gamer

I am having the same issue as well. I am running the same version of windows as well. and I also got my flasher in the mail the same day as you. small world right? So just writing to say you are not alone, and hopefully inf lives can help. lol

dale_coop

Staff member
On 4.0.11 when you select the « Make Cart » menu, it compiles, making a game.ned in the gamedata folder, then after the « press any key to continue », it copies the game.nes in the host folder and runs the script that flashes the cart.

Retrobuster

the_8bit_gamer said:
I am having the same issue as well. I am running the same version of windows as well. and I also got my flasher in the mail the same day as you. small world right? So just writing to say you are not alone, and hopefully inf lives can help. lol

Interesting. INF told me another person wrote in about the issue. Maybe that was you lol. Would it have anything to do with the driver that’s named something like Libusb-win32? (Could be off on that name but I know win32 is in the name. Since we’re running 64bit maybe it’s the wrong driver?

Retrobuster said:
the_8bit_gamer said:

Interesting. INF told me another person wrote in about the issue. Maybe that was you lol. Would it have anything to do with the driver that’s named something like Libusb-win32? (Could be off on that name but I know win32 is in the name. Since we’re running 64bit maybe it’s the wrong driver?

Could you send me a pic of your device manager?

Retrobuster

Here's a screenshot. I opened up any branches that I thought might be important but let me know if I missed something.

Attachments

• dm.jpg
    dm.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 2,867
Top Bottom