HUD does not appear on odd numbered X column screens

vanderblade

Sorry for the awkward title. This is my first day using NESmaker, and I'm enjoying it, despite the learning curve.

That said, I've encountered a few issues recently. First, for some reason, my HUD doesn't appear on screens located in odd numbered columns. So, for instance, it will work on screen X: 2 Y:0, but not on X: 1 Y: 0. It simply does not appear -- or it disappears if transitioning between the screens.

I haven't seen anything on this phenomenon, and I'm hoping it's a simple fix. Any help?

As an aside: is there a fix for player sprites appearing over text boxes? I've repositioned NPCs and text boxes to avoid this, but I was wondering if there is a fix for this, too.

Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
The HUD won odd number is a sign of the mis set sprite0.
I would suggest you to watch again the part of te videos when Joe set set sprite0 in the HUD.

The sprite you use (for ex the 127) has to be a non-transparent color.
And for the sprite0 position in HUD you can try with those values (like in joe’s videos):
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=10287#p10287

LordFred

...I also tried to use a tile with only a pixel in the left top corner, and adjust it perfect to colide with my right bottom corner of the HUD because my screens has the black color and the engine sets that color to transparent so, the tile "127" ( hahaha... it will be named as tile 127 instead sprite zero ^^ ) if is entire a tile with non-transparent color, is all the time visible, and I don't want to see that tile all the time...

dale_coop

Staff member
You might not see it... I think the tile disapears under the screen tiles.

But I really suggest you to test those settings (if your hud is 2 rows) :

2019-01-05-13-58-16.png

With your non-transparent color sprite (tile 127):

2019-01-05-13-58-57-NES-MAKER-4-1-0-Version-0x158-Mon-Jeu-Plateforme-MST.png

TurtleRescueNES

vanderblade said:
As an aside: is there a fix for player sprites appearing over text boxes? I've repositioned NPCs and text boxes to avoid this, but I was wondering if there is a fix for this, too.

Thanks!

Not that I know of. In the prior engine, all of the game objects were removed when the text box appears. I have to say, I like it now that the characters remain. Like you mentioned, you just have to be creative in positioning your characters around th text box, though that may not always be possible.

dale_coop

Staff member
If you really want to do that... you could try this:
Modify the DrawSprite.asm (in the "Macros" folder), at line 44, from:
Code:
skipGettingStartingOffset:  
	LDY Object_type,x
to:
Code:
skipGettingStartingOffset:  
;; dale_coop - hiding sprites if text box - BEGIN
	LDA textboxHandler
	BEQ continueSkipingGettingStartingOffset
	RTS ;; draw no sprites
continueSkipingGettingStartingOffset:
;; dale_coop - hiding sprites if text box - END
	LDY Object_type,x

It should not draw your sprites when a text box is showing.

Top Bottom