Missing colours 2d and 3d in interface

FrankenGraphics

Currently, the colours $2d and $3d are not represented in the GUI (anywhere like the pixel editor and such) and the colour picker dialog won't let you pick them.

There's thankfully a workaround for the former. You can hack it in by exporting a palette to clipboard, edit it manually, and reimport it, but their representation in the GUI stays black.

I could probably find a way to hack these colours in somewhere, but...
I'm wondering... Does the palette fadeout routines not default $1d and $0d to $0f to safeguard against their "too dark-ness"? Or is there any other reason these are omitted from the GUI?

dale_coop

Staff member
You're right, frankenGraphics. Those colors are removed for maximum compatibility:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=344&p=2438
and
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=489

FrankenGraphics

Thanks!

Hmmf... :| not feeling quite satisfied after reading those two threads, to be honest. I can see why you'd want to shield users from using them.. (that is, if some code block may misinterpret the occurrence). But they should still be represented in the GUI when someone goes backdoor ways to use them still.

It's okay if i'm on my own to try and fix the problems associated with how the code handles the colours, but i think i should still be able to view my assets properly.

As for compatibility.. As long as it works on a standard famicom or NES, it's fine. Playchoice and Vs. systems are off-spec rarities for arcade collectors.

The misrepresentation of $2d in fceux standard master palette is likely just a mistake. I've done colour tests on 5 different CRT:s and several HDTV:s and the relative darkness of $2d compared to $00 has still been significant enough on everyone of them.

dale_coop

Staff member
But I agree with you, as others here. I would like to be able to choose them, if I want...
(maybe just a warning or something)

Mugi

those would be really nice to have yeah. I designed a tileset for my game prior to purchasing nesmaker, which i then had to scrap because of this exact issue.
i googled a picture of nes palette and worked on that, but the colors were missing from nesmaker making 80% of my tileset useless (i tried for a while but it just didnt work without the grayscale palette i used for it.)

FrankenGraphics

Yeah, for example. $2d is the only gray you can use decently to "blend" with 0x colours. 00 stands out as too bright. $2d is also a nice gel between 0x and 1x colours as its brightness sits almost perfectly in the middle of those two brightness levels. It's perfect for dark low-contrast far-off/nonsolid backgrounds.

Top Bottom