How do I get the NPC text box?

dannal13

I've followed the tutorial all the way to this point. I did the GreenWizard monster, set the Object Details to what was displayed, and even watched the PArt 6: Creating Monsters video. My character will walk through the NPC (I gather this is normal or whatever), but what is my interaction? Press B to talk? Did I miss that step in setting up the controller? I just need some direction

TurtleRescueNES

Walking through your NPC is normal. They have no mass. :)

You have to setup a text string, assign the string to a text group, then make sure you are referencing the right text group on the overworld details screen. You should be able to preview any texts on the monster details (right click on the screen builder)

No need for button setup. The game knows that you press B to talk.

Hope that helps!

dannal13

OK! I got it to work - well, I got SOMETHING to work. Lol. I saw the text string, and that's the most important thing. Thank you for your help!

TurtleRescueNES

Glad it worked. If the colors of the text area are off, then you need to set your HUD palette on the screen design. That is always the fourth subpalette.

If the text box looks odd when it goes away, then you may need to reshape the text box. It's a known quirk and that is the easiest workaround.

Hey there, I've hit the same problem.

Although I have followed the adventure tutorial up to this point, I cannot for the life of me get the NPC text box to pop up when I press the b button. I've made sure I have valid text, and its assigned to a monster group, and it is assigned to the NPC that I am trying to talk to, but still no luck.

Any pointers on what I can try from here? I've tried deleting and remaking the NPC a few times, and am at a loss. I even tried mapping an animation to the b button just to make sure that I was pressing the correct key. Even after removing the animation mapped to that key, I can't get the text box to come up.

dale_coop

Staff member
How is your NPC monster object? Is it set as "NPC", does it have a bounding box (in "Object details")?
How is your player...? Does he have a bounding box?

Have you assign the "b_create_melee.asm" script to the "press" "B" button? (this script creates the NPC textbox in this module)

Thank you!

I had everything set up correctly except for that b_create_melee script. I just went back and checked when he talks to the NPC in the video and he doesn't seem to even have that script in his input scripts on the left hand side. Regardless, I am very thankful for the help!

dale_coop

Staff member
Depends of the version of NESMaker and the module you used ;)

In the BASE_Adventure module from the 4.1, this script has to be set, because the code for NPC textbox is in this script.
In the Adventure_Module from the 4.0.X, you didn't need to set it, because the NPC textbox system was hardcoded in the collision code.

dale_coop

Staff member
rimoJO, could share screenshots, your HUD Areas, your Text Group, your Screen ? And maybe your "Screen Info"?

temporarycowboy

Not OP, but I am having a similar issue. After pressing B, the audio hangs and the HUD (where the text area is) turns black, softlocking.
Attached are the relevant images.

dale_coop

Staff member
On your 2nd picture, HUD & Boxes, you forgot to set the TextBox Area. You have to define a zone, where the textbook will appear, else it might glitch.

temporarycowboy

The textbox was defined in the same area as the HUD, which one of the tutorials had shown as working. I've since moved it down into the playable area and cleaned the screen, but it still produces the same crash.
This happens,

and shortly after:

Going to double check that my text strings and NPC info is correct.

temporarycowboy

That did help some! Shrinking the text box helped the game not crash long enough that I figured out the problem:
apparently the music I imported had no defined SFX to accompany it, resulting in game panicking when it could not find the sound. I imported the tutorial music from the beta assets and everything displayed fine! Thanks!

Top Bottom