Moving Platform Objects

WolfMerrik

So, I have decided to start creating moving platform objects, I was wondering if anyone else had, or if they thought of the best way to do this?
My idea was to use a game object to do this, however, I can't seem to get a solid tile reaction from one.
Would anyone know a good place to begin with this?

dale_coop

Staff member
I was thinking about that some weeks ago.
Definitely would use a gameobject.
Still working / toying with the adventure module, so I didn’t have time to dig in the platformer one, yet. Just did the tutorial video.
But I will...

I you find a way, please share ;)
Thank you

Orgia Mode

I was trying to find the Action Step Flags in the scripts, but I had some trouble. I think that might be the best place to look. Maybe you could redefine an unused Action Script, like one of these two:
nbvchnm.PNG

WolfMerrik

Orgia Mode said:
I was trying to find the Action Step Flags in the scripts

This was my first idea too! The problem is, I just wouldn't know how to make it react the way I want, let alone where to edit the code that is affected by these lol.

Orgia Mode

WolfMerrik said:
Orgia Mode said:
I was trying to find the Action Step Flags in the scripts

This was my first idea too! The problem is, I just wouldn't know how to make it react the way I want, let alone where to edit the code that is affected by these lol.

Hey, see if you can locate the HurtReactions00,01,02,03 for monsters. Im looking into another idea I have...

Orgia Mode

ugh...I couldn't figure it out. :?
I really want to as well. I tried all sorts of stuff with objects and monsters and I learned that I actually don't have that good a grasp on object placement! I need some more practice with them I guess.

WolfMerrik

Orgia Mode said:
I really want to as well. I tried all sorts of stuff with objects and monsters and I learned that I actually don't have that good a grasp on object placement! I need some more practice with them I guess.

I have tried a lot of things myself. I can get the object to move how I want it to! So that is a start, however, I can get it to only either hurt the player, or just not react with them at all. lol

Orgia Mode

WolfMerrik said:
Orgia Mode said:

I have tried a lot of things myself. I can get the object to move how I want it to! So that is a start, however, I can get it to only either hurt the player, or just not react with them at all. lol

yes, same here. :roll:

Orgia Mode

But I did find this!
"ChangeObjectState #$00,#$02 ;; uses idle for hurt state." in "Platform_HandlePlayerHurt.asm"
That is not related to our problem...but is worth changing to a different object state. :lol:

WolfMerrik

By making a few changes to HandleObjectCollisions_Platform_Simple.asm
I was able to make some SMALL progress lol

platfail.gif

I used Flag 6 for the object, and added this code that handles it:

Code:
solidMovingPlatform: 
	LDX player1_object
	LDA #$00
	SEC
	SBC #$01 ;;basically just push them up 1
	STA Object_v_speed_hi,x
	JMP doneWithThisObjectCollision

To detect the flag, I added this code, right before the code that detects the player being able to jump on the monster flag:
Code:
	AND #%00100000
	BNE solidMovingPlatform

The problem being, you cant jump off of it... I need to find a way to set the players position, and possibly even have the x position of the player move with the block.

It is a start!

WolfMerrik

Well, by adding code that Changes the Objects state to Idle... I can at least get the player to jump off of it...
Still, it is not behaving like a platform at all and more like a weird rubbery bouncy, moving/floating, pile of garbage code....
BUT --- its a start!

WolfMerrik

dale_coop said:
Already a good progress! Nice!

MY goal, is to have an object flag be to "behave as a tile", (maybe read the objects health or some other arbitrary value for the tile type?)
This way I can have multiple objects use this flag, but behave differently.

For now, I have a mushy strange platform lol

dale_coop

Staff member
Yes you could read the health (or defense or...)
Because sadly all the flags are all already used for a behavior.

WolfMerrik

dale_coop said:
Yes you could read the health (or defense or...)
Because sadly all the flags are all already used for a behavior.

Yeah, this was the only way I could think to work around this.
Thankfully, an object like this should not need a stat like health, etc, so it lets us use them lol

Top Bottom