How to make NESM executables (for personal use)

rimoJO

Have you ever made a NESM game, looked at the ROM, and said to yourself "If only this could be an executable so I don't have to set up an emulator every time..."? Well, I've figured out a way so you all don't have to. Say hello to... the joenes_sdl executable nes gaming method! First of all, it's best to use this method for personal use. Also, it's good to have a backup of joenes_sdl.exe (the program) in case anything goes wrong. But anyway, here are the ingredients:
1- A hex editor- I use HxD.
2- a game rom- recommended it be called "game.nes".
3- a good spot to put your folder.
4- a photo editor- I use Paint.NET, MS Paint works fine too.
And here's what to do:
1- Copy "/Emulator" in your NESM directory, and paste it somewhere else. Rename it to what you like.
2- Using a hex editor, edit joenes_sdl.exe to your liking. Some main points to search for and edit (with CTRL+F) are:
1- MYSTIC SEARCHES CONFIG- The configuration screen title.
2- Mystic Searches- The window name.
A few notes:
1- If anything goes wrong, replace joenes_sdl.exe with a backup. if there is none, use the file from the original ZIP. If the ZIP is missing, redownload it.
2- Most hex editors, like HxD, will only let you type in the space that already exists. For example, "Kachapichi" fits into "Mystic Searches", but anything longer than "Mystic Searches" will not. If a game title is shorter than "Mystic Searches", use spaces to fill the gap.
End step 2.
3- Rename "joenes_sdl.exe" to whatever you want because you are done editing it.
4- Paste "game.nes" into your game folder. under "Properties" in the right click menu, check "Hidden". In fact, you can do this to any files you do not wish to appear in your game folder.
5- using a photo editor, make a border or picture that is 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels tall. save it as "artwork.jpg".
If i missed anything, please let me know in the comments. Anyways, hope this helps! Have fun making NESMaker executables!

Dirk

Yes, I think the emulator that comes with NESMaker is not intended for commercial use, but only for testing your games.

wallmasterr

Would be cool if they added publish to exe as an option in the future. Would make getting game on steam and stuff a lot easyer.

Top Bottom