Easy Cool Ideas For Everyone

mouse spirit

Hey.I wanted to post some cool simple ideas and workarounds.It would also be cool
if you replied with the same,or questions about them,or whatever really!
We could then have a post just full of cool ideas which can be elaborated on and collaborated on.
I know it's not a typical tutorial...it's more of a workaround.

Warning: these cool ideas may yield different results for anybody.

1.Use checkpoints,but make them silent and make them invisible by using graphics that match the background.
Set them up along the border of a screen or when you enter and leave a town,or on every border of every screen?!

2.Use monster locks that are silent and invisible!

3.Use path tiles for clouds,bushes,frames,houses,trees, fences,water,so many things.

4.If using monster locks,make a monster that doesn't move and looks like a switch.Destroy the switch!

5.Make a tile that triggers screentype and put it behind any one time collectables,that way the screentype
will trigger and you won't be able to see or collect the item again when you come back to the screen!

6. If it's a cool glitch,maybe keep it?

7.Just use background graphics for most of a giant stationary "sprite(its actually just background)"
then use a monster for the movable parts.Like a blinking eyeball on a giant dying dragon.

8.Use one monster but have many?! If the monster is stationary,make its first action 4 way move
,advance at end of action,make action fast and their movement speed and acceleration 1.Make next action stop movement and loop.
Now make different looking monsters for up animation,down animation,right animation,left animation.
Now they should look like 1 of 4 stationary monsters whenever you re enter the screen.

9.Using atleast 2 frames in animations is great,even if its just a one pixel difference like a hair moving when you jump.

10.Make an NPC also a monster by clicking both boxes in a monsters details. That way when you "don't have enough golds."
, they don't have enough movement speed to escape your wrath.
(Oh,and give them low movement speed.)

11. Make things into player weapons by only clicking the player weapon box in a monsters details.Maybe the falling spikes will hurt THEM this time!

12. Go ahead and pre-thank dale_coop if you havn't yet because you'll want to later.

13.Use monster barriers to guide a monster through a maze of blocks.Imagine a bowling ball falling in a zig zag pattern from the sky without using
"solid" tiles(in a platformer) or imagin a mouse who can't find the exit to an invisible maze(in an adventure game).

14. Read this before making music or sound effects.
https://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?t=3018

15. Make a projectile/player weapon or just a player weapon that doesn't destroy or lose effectiveness
for so long a time or go past the screen edge and has fun action movments.
Like a fairy familiar or a dog summon.Or even put it on every screen of the majestic
forest so you have a fairy friend in there.Or even make it persistent in your game.

16. As you may be editing asm files with notepad++, go ahead and leave those tabs open so you can see what you have recently edited,
or even undo and re save incase of a problem when editing code.

jcramer

Good ideas. This is exactly my taste in nesmaking. Here's a few I've done.

Use the text box inside the HUD area to make a map.

Use monster objects to write messages at the bottom of the screen that drop through the floor into the HUD. Can also be used in auto scrolling parts if you make it move at the exact same speed as the screen.

Use jump on kills to make a bouncy block that shoots you high into the air.

Make exact replicas of rooms to get extra triggers out of it.

offparkway

These are all fantastic ideas. I’m on 4.5, so I wish monster locks were something I was familiar with (I get the concept, but don’t know how to do it).

So much fun stuff in the NES world.

Yan

I hope this isn't too obvious but instead of using more than one element in your HUD just for text, you could simply space out the words.

Attachments

• Text on HUD.png
    Text on HUD.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 781

mouse spirit

Thats a great idea. I did catch on to this at some point but not when i first started. Its a helpful tip fersure.
All of these ideas are great.

Pauldalyjr

Probably another obvious one, but in your HUD graphics, you can used the unused letters to draw graphics or designs that can be placed in the HUD.

Top Bottom