BG Tiles?

rimoJO

BG Tiles?

Post by rimoJO » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi, everyone! I've been happily working on my little game, but I keep feeling like something's missing. The skies. The walls. Whatever's behind the main character. It's just one. Solid. Color. It's pretty frustrating, actually, for me to look at my game and see the character, the ground, and literally nothing else- so that leads me to ask this question: how does one even make backgrounds? A few NESMakers have done it before- and their games stand out- so I wish I could do that too. Because what's a game without backgrounds? ...So any help would be nice.
EDIT: NOTE: And something moving as well, possibly?
Mystery Game status: Currently at least one in development. Stay tuned!
jsherman

Re: BG Tiles?

Post by jsherman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:01 pm

BG tiles area easy, really. Open up your graphic editor, and design some elements. Lets say a cloud. How create a new asset that uses that cloud sprite. That asset should be a null, or walkable type so that it does not interfere with the player. Now just drop it on your game's screen.

Animated background tiles are not supported in this version of NESmaker.
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
rimoJO

Post by rimoJO » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:33 pm

ok. what about some games, like dimension shift, that have many backgrounds, and are animated?
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:24 pm

my game uses chr ram bankswitching (animated background tiles.)
that feature is hand baked and not available in nesmaker currently. Joe said it's coming in the upcoming 5.0 version.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
rimoJO

Post by rimoJO » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 pm

oh ok, thanks. way too excited for 5.0... anyways, is it possible to make one big background, and it follows you throughout the level?
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 pm

you mean a parallax scrolling background ?
technically yes, but in this mapper, you woud have to use sprite0 for creating that, and because the HUD of nesmaker engine uses sprite0 already, you would lose the hud completely.

if you would use a sprite hud like my game does, then sprite0 can be used for that, but even so, this mapper is not really suitable for proper parallaxing because it doesnt have a scanline counter, so it's not really worth it.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
rimoJO

Post by rimoJO » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Ah. In my game, a hud isn't needed. It's a one-hit kind of game. I'm just thinking a mountain in the background. oh well.