States changes

dale_coop

Staff member
What do you mean by a new player state?
Every objects (the player... or any other ones, even the monsters) have 8 Action Steps... representing their states or their actions...
The player is in action step 0 when he is idle, Action Step 1 when he's walking, Action Step 2 when he's jumping, Action Step 3 when he's attacking,...

So, make new animation(s) for example walking left and walking right.:
2020-01-10-11-54-36.png

Then, in the Object details, you need to assigned those animations to an "animation Type": the "walking left" animation would be assigned to a "Walk" animation type for the left direction and the "walking right" animation to the right direction (for the same animation type):
2020-01-10-11-55-04-Monster-Animation-Info.png

And finally, use that "walk" animation type for your Action Step 1:
2020-01-10-11-55-36-Monster-Animation-Info.png

And only 8 Action Steps... can't have more than that.

Chasersgaming

"And only 8 Action Steps... can't have more than that."
oh OK, i thought you could just change the object to another that has another 8 action steps. Like if i didn't want to use a monster, i could utilise that object instead, without effecting anything. That's what i was trying to ask. :) Is this a NESMaker limitation, or an actualy NES one? If so, my logic has failed me. :)

dale_coop

Staff member
It's a nesmaker limitation.
Also, yes, you could definilty wrote a custom code that would destroy your object and create another one...

Chasersgaming

Well, it would be great if someone could do a tutorial explaining this custom code and how to do the above mentioned. :) that's what i would like. Or i don't mind looking up ASM to learn how to do it, and then maybe someone show how to take that code and implement it NESMaker. :)

dale_coop

Staff member
You should explain exactly what you want to do... it would help to write the code you need.
8 actions steps is not enough? It might for a monster object, then?
Maybe you would like a special AI action ? or a End Action / Animation action that would destroy the current object and creates... with one? a defined by user constant object? the new object in the list?...
Or if a monster... maybe when he get a specific health value, he's destroyed/replaced by another monster object?

ETC...

Chasersgaming

My character has more than 8 action steps to perform.
Idle
Walk
Run
Push
Climb
Attack
Jump
Hit/hurt

Performing these first 8 is not a problem, but I have more.:)

Shimmey
Ledge
Carry
And throw

These are the extra actions I need the character to perform, so my logic was just to have the character change to another object which contains another 8 actions, either by button command or a tile collision, like the player object performs now. I understand nesmaker is set up in a way that keeps the memory management in check, so I can’t just create a new player object at will, so I figured I could use a monster object instead, and have that object contain the other states required without effecting the engine in any major way, Just have nesmaker point to that, but there’s nothing in the UI that I can see that allows me to do this, or how I can do this, at least if I have to do this in a custom way, then that’s not a problem figuring that out, but then how do then get the nesmaker tool to understand what it is I’m trying to do? :)

dale_coop

Staff member
For the player it would make it very difficult...
because for example, if you replace the player by another object for, let's say, "Carry"... then when your player is hurt, or falling, of hit a solid tile, ... and needs to be back to idle (the game engine does that currently), it would need to destroy and create the default object again...? The entier game engine would need to be modified for all those considerations.

I think it's too difficult to be made, here, with nesmaker.

Chasersgaming

Yeah, I’m beginning to realise there’s a lot of things I would like to do, that I’m not going to be able to do in nesmaker. That’s cool though, il concentrate my time on Learning ASM. Thanks for your help.:)

Top Bottom