Importing NES graphics from ROMs

JEM5032

Hello, New to the site and brand new with NESMAKER. I have a question i just don't seem to find a good answer for. Suppose I'd like to use NES graphics from a NES title to incorporate into NESMAKER to build a tileset. If I open up the ROM tileset using something like Tile Layer Pro, how do i export those tiles and upload them to NESMAKER? The tile layer pro file extension is .thl which isnt a recognized file extension for NESMAKER. Is there a preferred way of accomplishing this? Thanks, Jeff

CutterCross

First off, you shouldn't deliberately rip and use graphics from other games unless they're royalty free assets or you have explicit permission to use them. If you're just using them as a starting point there's also plenty of tutorial assets that come with NESmaker and free assets on the forums.

Secondly, does your image editing software not export to common file extensions like JPEG, BMP, PNG, etc? In that case you should probably just be using another image editing software. Or even just import the file into something as simple as Paint and re-export it as a different image file.

JEM5032

@CutterCross,

Thanks. Yes, trying to find starting points is all I am trying to do and not rip anything off. Not sure what I am using is editing software. It is a program that opens up the ROM images from the emulator graphic tiles. The kind that you would use to edit the pallette of a game. I am probably way off track here. Not even completely sure what editor to use or if this is even possible to do. Now having said that I have found a few different sites here in the search for those offering free tilesets.

mouse spirit

What people normally do is "rip" the sprites. Either the way youre doing it with like tilepro, or by taking screenshots of the game, and then editing the picture to only leave the desired sprite.
Although cutter is certainly correct, if you Do want a spritesheet from a certain game, do an image search for say " Karnov nes spritesheet" or " mario enemy sprites". Then use a simple paint tool or even photoshop to then alter those images,or copy and past the graphic from the phototool to the nesmaker editor with the correct chr file selected already.
And be sure that they do not resemble others work too much and only use them for a template to help create your own work ofcourse.

dale_coop

Staff member
Agreed.
Keep in mind that NESmaker allow original IP (graphics) only. Don't use graphics or IP that is not yours.

JEM5032

mouse spirit said:
What people normally do is "rip" the sprites. Either the way youre doing it with like tilepro, or by taking screenshots of the game, and then editing the picture to only leave the desired sprite.
Although cutter is certainly correct, if you Do want a spritesheet from a certain game, do an image search for say " Karnov nes spritesheet" or " mario enemy sprites". Then use a simple paint tool or even photoshop to then alter those images,or copy and past the graphic from the phototool to the nesmaker editor with the correct chr file selected already.
And be sure that they do not resemble others work too much and only use them for a template to help create your own work ofcourse.

That explanation helps! Thanks.

PasseGaming

There is nothing wrong with ripping graphics to use as inspiration or reference for your own original work. Maybe you need some help with creating a sprite of a spider or something, checking out other work is fine and dandy. Just don't go stuffing it into your own game and calling it your work. That's a no-no.

Also, keep in mind that there is only so many ways you can draw a bullet or laser on the NES. So, in cases like that, it's okay to use a single sprite as a bullet or a line as a laser. No one is going to come banging on your door about it. So as long as your not blatantly using other peoples work. Sometimes you can really help some things resembling things found in other games. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just don't have Mario making any appearances.

Top Bottom