New Mapper30 boards UNROM512

dale_coop

Staff member
I use Broke Studio Boards (unrom and the mapper30 prototype he gave me some months ago...) and they work very very well.

dale_coop

Staff member
The Mapper30 boards are available on Broke Studio:
Price 10€

NESmaker uses « Vertical » mirroring, make sure to set the correct one when ordering the pcbs.

Broke Studio Mapper30 boards page: https://www.brokestudio.fr/product/nes-unrom512-mapper30/

They also sell grey shells + sleeves (4,3€)

Jonny

Thanks Dale. The price is really good and the shipping to UK was cheap too (I just ordered) maybe even cheaper shipping to France.

Jonny

Glad I didn't buy too many.. I've just been on Infinite Nes Lives website to get order a programmer and looks like they're changing their boards and (im guessing) the programmer to suit them ?

" NES cartridge boards & carts temporarily unavailable while we migrate to a more flexible "multi-mapper" board design. This new design will change how we offer NES cartridge PCBs. No more needing to choose a mapper, memory type & size prior to checkout. The INLretro programmer will be able to change the mapper & memory options on the board while being programmed. Current goal is to beta release this new design by the end of Oct 2020, with full public release by the end of 2020. This page will be updated as things progress, thanks for your patience. "

Could this mean the Broke Studio boards might be incompatible now?

dale_coop

Staff member
Not sure those new boards or flasher will be available soon or not. INL are always very late with their products (there are so busy).
Also, not sure if NESmaker (the tool) will support this new versions.
So, if the main goal is to flash your game on a board to distribute it, BrokeStudio remains a very cheap option for European people. If the goal is to have a boards to test your projects, flash again and again... yeah, it could be interesting to wait for the new boards, but it will not change the end use: your rom on a board playable on the NES ;)

And what about the prices fo those new boards/flasher.

Jonny

Just for testing really. I could just flash the chips on a programmer but I need to research how that would be done from NESMaker.

I'm not in a rush for anythjng, I was just concerned that I'd just bought BS boards and have no way to flash them at the moment. My own fault really 😬

dale_coop

Staff member
Oh, you don't have the INL/NESmaker flasher already? Every order you would do from INL would take at least one month... be prepared ;)

Also, I am pretty sure the future flasher from INL will support the mapper30 boards. Then, you will have to be patient.

PasseGaming

Wow, not too shabby for us Americans too. Picked up 5 boards and carts to add to my stock for 100$. That's about 20$ cheaper then INL.

dale_coop

Staff member
Had a little chat with Paul (from InfiniteNESLives)

So, the "new versions" of the boards and the flasher are for the other kind of boards... not for the NESmaker kit or the NESmaker boards.

He told me, you can still order your INL NESmaker flasher and mapper30 NESmaker boards as usual, even if it's written "Out of Stock".
Those are custom made, Paul build them when he has orders. So, you can go and order if/when you need ! :)

Jonny

dale_coop said:
even if it's written "Out of Stock".
Those are custom made, Paul build them when he has orders. So, you can go and order if/when you need ! :)

Sweet! :D

I was wondering actualy because I have one in my PayPal basket wondering what would happen if I ordered it. I'll checkout now because I know it will probably be a long wait.

Thanks once again for the info.

EDIT:

Just tried ordering and says "out of stock / not available" at PayPal checkout. So can't order as usual.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah sorry for that wrong start.
Paul told me, he will open the orders again next week... stay tuned ;)

CutterCross

NESmaker by default sets the mapper's mirroring type to vertical mirroring. The mirroring type is a part of the hardware, even if your game doesn't take advantage of it. For Mapper#30 it can support both vertical and horizontal mirroring, but can't change its mirroring type during gameplay. So yes, you should use the right mirroring type for your game.

I personally have used horizontal mirroring for my recent NESmaker projects, which you can change in your game's iNES header. But if you haven't messed around with that, vertical mirroring is the default your game will use.

dale_coop

Staff member
It's a very easy soldering task to do. Or, send an email to broke studio and tell him you want a vertical mirroring (for nesmaker). He will do that before sending it to you ;)

Jonny

A few lead fumes won't hurt. I like those solder jumpers they use, looks neater than square ones (not that anyone's going to see it).

Top Bottom