My suggestions so far (updated)

I was informed by Mr. Granato that it might be useful to re-post some of the suggestions that I had submitted back when NESmaker was first released. Of course, I have omitted the ones that have already been solved. I also added some new ones. Please let me know the ones that are important to you too so that the NESmaker team notices them.

General:
Make the tree already expanded when a MST is launched
IMPORTANT: the zoom scrolling is opposite to most programs (CTRL+scroll up should be zoom IN and CTRL+scroll down should be zoom OUT)
F2 or "click and wait" to rename items in the tree, like in Windows Explorer or other standard Windows applications
[NEW!] The first time an item is created, it should be in "edit name" mode already, instead of having to right-click and rename each time. This also applies to items created in Manage Animations
Have the option to automatically check for updates
[NEW!] Add undo to screen editor and assets (not just CTRL+z)
[NEW!] Don't ask if I want to save if nothing was changed

Pixel Editor:
Add select all, copy, paste, undo, redo somewhere, perhaps in a right-click menu
CTRL+A for select all
Have some indication that something was copied to the clipboard
The user should be able to click on the "Sub 1" part to have the palette selected, and click on the colors themselves to change the color (right now, you need to click on a color to select a "Sub"
[NEW!] zoom in is too drastic, I think it is set to 2x. Maybe 1.25x for each mouse scroll?
[NEW!] left-click instead of right-click (or both like in the palette editor) for changing colors

Game objects:
[NEW!] Left-click and hold in order to select many tiles, instead of shift+left click+hold. There doesn't seem to be any reason why we have to add shift to the equation.

Palettes:
Have a default palette ready for the player instead of all gray when creating a new project

Text:
Have a default text bmp when creating a new project
[NEW!] The space under "Text 0000000011111122222" appears white with white text color in High Contrast mode. (The rest of the High Contrast mode problems have been solved, thank you!)

Input editor:
[NEW!] Can delete and item by pressing "delete"
[NEW!] the colored squares that appear when clicking on a button of the gamepad are not alligned, at least in High Contrast Mode.

:geek: The main thing about NESmaker that makes it difficult to use is the fact that many actions have to be performed with an obscure shortcut instead of a button or menu item. It would be important to have both a shortcut *and* a button/menu item for them. :geek:

But I have to say, I had to delete half of my original suggestions as they were already done. GREAT WORK!
original post: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=477

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, still here, still learning how to code in NESMaker : p (the small and only difference is I am now a "official" moderator, my name is greeen and I can ban the spambots from the forum :p)

wallmasterr

Iv got a few usability suggestions. I know a lot of them are nit picks but feel they should be documented somewhere.

Overworld grid:
Right-click copy paste
Click and drag to move screens about
Some easy way/ indication of what screen can side scroll to each other (right click between squares, add scroll)
Some easy way to see what screen warps to where, some kind of connections overview

Overworld level screen editor:
Undo placed tiles
spawn point indicators
Multiple warp squares per screen
warp indicators/ tags (right click to jump to warp target? also would be nice to have the warp targets to be linked if u rearrange the overworld layout.)
Depth options, place sprites in front of player?
would be nice for it to show what overworld coordinate you are on in the level editor.
-seems like if you update a graphics type(solid, walkable) in Graphics banks it dose not refresh already placed tiles in levels.

Pixel editor:
Auto select interpret color mode(little thing just a bit annoying having to do it every time)
Right-click to on pixel on artboard to change the active color to it
make b shortcut not be bad pixels (b should be brush)
select square seems off on the right and bottom, often causing misselection

Settings, Script Assignment:
Add a search field to find specific script names.

Top Bottom