Mac OSX & Linux Versions of NESMaker?

Gecko1993

My question would be about NESMaker being on other Operating Systems such as Mac OSX, and Linux? Just helping to suggest some versatility with the program. Don't get me wrong, I DO love Windows 7, but what about other OSes for those who aren't fortunate enough to have it on Mac, or Linux?

On Mac you can run windows through a Virtual Machine, not sure about Linux though.

Edit: you can.... https://www.howtogeek.com/133515/4-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-linux/

MistSonata

This has come up on the facebook group a lot, and unfortunately there aren't any plans to have a Mac or Linux version of NESmaker anytime soon.

Joe himself prefers to use Mac and runs NESmaker through bootcamp, so it's not as though he's unsympathetic to the plight. I'm sure eventually there'll be a version for other operating systems.

chronosv2

After having done plugin development for NESMaker I can explain one potential hang-up:
NESMaker makes extensive use of System.Windows.Forms. Yes, Mono has its own System.Windows.Forms implementation, but as I understand it it's not 100% compatible and I think NESMaker uses a bunch of custom controls, so modifying it for Mono might not be feasible. I also don't know how up-to-pace Mono is keeping up with standard .NET, even though Microsoft is sponsoring its development.

Mihoshi20

Really I don't need a dedicated/native app. Really I'd just settle for and like it if it ran smoothly in WINE.

Mihoshi20

dale_coop said:
It runs well in a virtual machine ;)

Yeah, that's how i run NESmaker, the problem with a VM though as you're still reliant on Windows and thus not only having to run Windows in the first place but presumably having a legal license to run it and thus dishing out the money for said license. WINE and native apps for non-Windows OS' don't run aground of such issues. Win7 is getting long in the tooth and M$ is ending support for it soon so I can't run it forever and I'll be damned if I go 8.1 or 10.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, I understand that well. I am on a Win7 vm too (on my MacBook)... until NM can run under WINE, one day.

forge

Hi all. New member here.

Anyone had any success using the NesMaker with CrossOver for Mac?

I bet the team at SxSW and was super impressed but held off buying a serial because I don’t have a windows machine right now and wasn’t sure I wanted to use a VM. Then I remembered that I have CrossOver!

Any experiences? I see WINE mentioned in this thread which i think CrossOver is based on?

Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
Nobody had success using WINE. So I bet it's same with CrossOver.
I hope someone will find how to, and make a tutorial about that. In the mean time, I will continue to use my Windows 7 virtual machine on my Mac.

Top Bottom