Dimension Shift

dale_coop

Staff member
You're doing an amazing work, Mugi <3
Would be possible you upload a small gameplay video... full screen? (would like to see that... the scrolling is so beautiful ;))
If you can't, no problem.

Mugi

dale_coop said:
Would be possible you upload a small gameplay video... full screen? (would like to see that... the scrolling is so beautiful ;))

here you go then, 1024x960 60fps runthrough of the currently existing stage rooms :p

https://youtu.be/qh9lhe8bQCo

i specifically uploaded this as 60fps to show that the scrolling is actually smooth. usually the videos i capture are 24fps and that's why it looks like everything is choppy and jittery.
this is how it actually looks like.

Dirk

Yes, it's so beautiful. I love the parallax scrolling combined with the leaves rustling in the wind. It looks just awesome.

Mugi

so, now that i have a nice little scroll engine along with irq splits at my disposal, i figured i'll get back to the original idea of a boss monster.

the byte off demo had a little blob for people to beat up which was nice and all but a boss needs to look like a boss dont ya think ?
meet "boss monster"

teeeeeeee.png

no idea where im gonna use him or how exactly he works yet but its' getting there :p

Mugi

dale_coop said:
o_O
Don't really want to fight that boss!

it will be one of those megaman styled things where his movement is achieved by scrolling the background, since the mosnter itself is drawn as background tiles.
it'll be a neat thing once i animated it and get some mechanics done.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, with a boss of that size, moving. It will be impressive visually, for sure!
Can't wait to see it <3

SerafukuSoftware

This just keeps getting better and better, everything is just gorgeous..
That huge ass Boss tho, I can already visualise seeing his huge fist try to crush the player. (If that's your one of your intentions with it)
It's gonna look really cool!

Mugi

well, doing excessive movement for the boss will be quite hard so we'll see how it ends up working, but yes, one idea was to get the fist to slam to the ground.
i have some animation frames made but as you can see the tileset is pretty full as it is, and there are no floor or wall or anything tiles atm.
even with bankswitching, animating something of this size is not really an easy task.

SerafukuSoftware

I had to have another look at the pattern table. Damn you're only just squeezing him in there, lmao. Looks like if you were to add "ground" tiles, you'd have around 24 titles to make up whatever.
It's probably just me and my blind eyes but I can't tell whether "boss monster" is a huge rock-formation dude or a giant rusty mecha, either way it looks bloody well detailed with what space you have.
I could defs imagine this being no easy task, especially if you have to update large amount of tiles in limited frames. Trying to make that all 'efficient' on the CPU as well. I'm still blown away by the software-based scanline counter. You're team's really pushing the limits of this simple Mapper. This game has some "Anno-san" levels of detail ('scuse my weeb ass comparison).

Mugi

tile updates are not really that feasible so we'll do something else. most likely.
the boss can be scrolled up/down/left/right and im going to split his existence into several palettes so that i can manipulate it better using color changes.

something along these lines, that allows me to only show the hand or the boss itself through a single palette rewrite.
teeee.png

the boss itself might or might not become animated, depending on how i get tilesets done for that (a full chr like this eats A LOT of rom space, and using chr ram to animate it means i will have to include 4 copies of the CHR to the rom.)
it could be done but it's too much of a resource usage for a single boss.

as far as the floor and such goes, there's 31 8x8 tiles free on the tileset, and this screen will be drawn in 8x8 tile mode, which means designing the floor etc will be much more efficient than just designing linear 16x16 blocks without reusing single tiles
like nesmaker normally does.

Mugi

heh, well, sure the sprite is really nice,
but it will be equally hard to make use of it in ways that it doesnt just look like a static picture.
creating a moving boss out of bg tiles is no easy job.

the boss thing is currently on a standstill, since we have more pressing matters to handle first, such as getting entity handling back into working state and fixing the stupid collision engine (i dont like the invisible walls :p)

Did you patched? If it's the same invisible walls that I had the patch dale gave me worked and I dont have that issue any more and yes, trust me I know it's going to take more than artwork to put everything together. When I did stuff stuff mugen I had to ask the coder a lot of stuff before animating things lol as a spriter and animator I'm always questioning if this can be done lol

Top Bottom