Way of the Hunter

red moon

Dirk, Please do post when you are ready to share the fox and other animals!

Also, thank you for the compliment for the grounds, I am trying to find a good balance in that regard...sometimes less is more!

It can easier on the eyes at least.

red moon

I am doing some testing now for village areas of the game and what the spirit world may look like....this will surely change once I get further along but it will help me start constructing the areas at least!

Attachments

• screenframe10B.png
    screenframe10B.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,401
  • screenframe11B.png
    screenframe11B.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,401
  • screenframe9.png
    screenframe9.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 3,402

vasge_

Really digging the sprite work for this one, these colors kinda remind me of Master System games

red moon

vasge_ said:
Really digging the sprite work for this one, these colors kinda remind me of Master System games
Thank you, I am interesting in seeing how much it changes for the test area in editor. And I was looking at the master system palette, it is quite different!
I do like that NES games have a distinct look however because of the palette limitations!

Dirk

The night screens look really nice. I love purple and the ghostly blue reminds of the ghosts in Monkey Island 1, a game I associate a lot of nostalgia with.

red moon

Thank you Dirk! I too love Monkey Island and the colors used... I just watched a GDC talk a couple months ago that had the Monkey Island pixel artist talking about the color and sprite limitations, it was pretty amazing!

red moon

I'm in the process of testing out some "points of interest" in the screens. Some of these would be tiles (health/score) for meat and bones. Other things would be hazards or ambiance like butterflies and bee hives. I am also going to have healing plants but need to work out what their mechanic is in the game. My original thought was they were a requirement entering the spirit world or healing the sick.
In addition, I want to have burning sections of terrain, collapsed passages and flooded sections as well. Those are a bit far off in terms of setting them up and making sense of them. The fire is easy enough as a static enemy, the others will require some thought and planning.

And the green ball is meant to be a ghost light sprite that floats around...

Attachments

• points.png
    points.png
    8 KB · Views: 3,324

PasseGaming

There was a kickstarter a few years back for a game based on wilderness survival. I backed it but it's been painfully slow with updates. This type of game is right up my alley.

Jonny

This is looking really great. I like that you've gone with a realistic art style. A lot of NES games are cartoon type graphics. Nothing wrong with that but it's refreshing to see something like this.

Basty

Sprite work most certainly looks outstanding.
You really got 3 colors only per sprite down very well.

Now if you want to go for something even more amazing, NES does allow overlapping 3 more colors but it will be at expense of objects available on screen.

Anyways, from what I can see thus far, I am very excited to see where this project goes.

Jonny

Sprite work most certainly looks outstanding.
You really got 3 colors only per sprite down very well.

Now if you want to go for something even more amazing, NES does allow overlapping 3 more colors but it will be at expense of objects available on screen.

Anyways, from what I can see thus far, I am very excited to see where this project goes.

I agree. It would benefit maybe more than other games from some extra colours. Sadly, from what I can gather, sprite layering is quite advanced. You could get creative with your palettes though and change the palette on different sprites of the object.

I did a couple more tests this evening, I am going to tackle the ground areas later or keep them more simplified like these river and meadow segments. I will need to scale down certain enemies for sure, the wolf is massive!
I'll already reduced the fish and rabbit seen here in these test screens.
Amazing project. Demo rom download?

Top Bottom