Dimension Shift

Mugi

Re: Dimension Shift

Post by Mugi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:10 am

hay thar, we tested some "cutscene" capabilities of the engine for the first time :P
this video also demonstrates the full potential of the scroll and parallax engine we made, along with a demonstation of the dynamic scroll locking and camera offset autocorrection.

"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:42 am

It looks amazing, as always. The scrolling from the moon down to the character adds a lot to the feel of the game. I love what you did with the dynamic scroll locking and the camera offset autocorrection. That's something NESMaker is definitely lacking.
I only have a small nitpick ^^
It's something I always look for when I see a crescent moon. The star to the left of the moon shouldn't be visible since it's inside of the moon radius and therefor is behind the moon. It should be moved to the left and/or up.
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:03 am

i noticed the same thing, and it was moved up after the video was captured. here's the image that is currently in the rom, along with a demonstration for pleasing your OCD :P
as far as the start of the game goes, i keep calling this a "cutscene" but it's really just a neat little effect to start the game with, there will be an actual cutscene at the beginning in the title screen once i get that drawn out.

and yeah, the scroll locking stuff is amazing, this engine is starting to be such a pleasure to work designs with now, since this sort of dynamic mode changing allows me to design all kinds of crazy stages with no worries
about the scrolling causing issues (this code masks off unintended screens, so any screen you're not supposed to scroll into, such as the diagonal corner screens, are always rendered empty.)

we have been spending some 8-10 hours a day for over a week rewriting the scroll code and all the related things to it, and once we get over with rewriting the collision engine that is required to fix some
collision bugs related to vertical scrolling (and horizontal, just like in vanilla nesmaker engine (invisible walls when the edge of the screen is solid anyone? :P)) and get monster handling back into a working state, then it's time to get full force into gameplay stuff...

Atm im slowly recreating the stages and once the intro is out of the way, the next thing for me is a complete redesign and rewrite of the stage selection screen.... now with parallaxing and whatnot, it will be FAB-U-LO-US!!
scenemockup.png
scenemockup.png (11.73 KiB) Viewed 200 times
moonradius.png
moonradius.png (14.49 KiB) Viewed 200 times
- Raftronaut
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:24 am

XD
Very cool, thank you ^^
I actually made a screenshot and put a red circle around the moon, like you did, to make sure I wasn't mistaken XD
-----
Woogz

Post by Woogz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:07 pm

Beautiful work as always, Mugi. That cutscene and screen scrolling transition very nicely. The smoothness in your parallax scrolling is nothing short of impressive.

Hate to gush out so much, but the level of polish in this type of stuff is just admirable considering the limitations you're working with. Keep up the good work :)
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 am

Woogz wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:07 pm
Beautiful work as always, Mugi. That cutscene and screen scrolling transition very nicely. The smoothness in your parallax scrolling is nothing short of impressive.

Hate to gush out so much, but the level of polish in this type of stuff is just admirable considering the limitations you're working with. Keep up the good work :)
the parallax is nothing short of impressive indeed. considering the fact that this mapper doesnt have a scanline counter, pulling off stable parallaxing just became way harder than it should have been.
- Raftronaut
Woogz

Post by Woogz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:06 am

For sure. Sounds like it must of been a bit of a headache to implement. Have you tested it out on real NES hardware yet?
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:09 am

yeah, it works on NTSC, PAL and dendy.
it had to be separately timed for each though, but instead of making 3 different roms, we just coded it to dynamically adjust timings so that the same rom works on all regions.

due to the color choices of the game though (i use color 2D which is the missing dark gray on the palette) the game wil not look good on an RGB famicom though, since those systems use a different palette and
that gray color is actually yellow in that system :P
- Raftronaut
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:11 am

I've never heard of the dendy or RGB Famicoms.
Are RGB Famicoms official hardware or modded?
-----
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 am

I dont really know much about the matter either to be honest, all i know is that there's like different variations of the ppu in existence, and some of them do some really weird things with the palettes.

nesdev wiki has an article about the matter: https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_palettes
- Raftronaut