When the Clock Hands Stall

User avatar
CutterCross
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by CutterCross » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Mugi wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:07 pm
the chrono trigger clock simulator for nes. Im in! :P
just kidding, this looks really cool, but it really also works as a teaser, because the screen practically gives no indication whatsoever of what kind of game it is or what is it about.

as for the fades, i've started looking into that but im not really sure how it works yet either.
there's a macro in the code base called beginfade.asm which takes a whole load of arguments to do things, some set in constants and some not, and what's in constants/zeropage for this, seems to be disabled (atleast in 4.1.4) so i dont think it's operational as it is without some further poking.
There's a reason why I'm not revealing any gameplay yet ;) (aside from the fact that I'm still working on mechanics, haha). Trying to get some hype built up.

Joe showed off the beginfade macro in a pre-release video, but it seems he disabled that functionality from day 1 since it probably took up too much ROM space.
Music Man:
The Tower of Turmoil: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
When the Clock Hands Stall: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2723
User avatar
justadude
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by justadude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm

can somebody explain how the fudge did you make that cutscene?
---------
gimme me chocolate milk
User avatar
CutterCross
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by CutterCross » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:40 pm

justadude wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm
can somebody explain how the fudge did you make that cutscene?
I've made a whole video showing how I made the cutscenes for another game of mine, The Tower of Turmoil.



This game pretty much uses those same techniques, but with scrolling involved.
Music Man:
The Tower of Turmoil: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
When the Clock Hands Stall: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2723
User avatar
justadude
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by justadude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm

nononono,i already watched it,how did you do the cutscene before startscreen?
---------
gimme me chocolate milk
User avatar
CutterCross
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by CutterCross » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 pm

justadude wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm
nononono,i already watched it,how did you do the cutscene before startscreen?
I didn't use the start screen. This is all made up of gameplay screens at the moment.
Music Man:
The Tower of Turmoil: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1348
When the Clock Hands Stall: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2723
User avatar
justadude
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by justadude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 pm

oh,im sorry,im an idiot. Im going to go get back working on my garbage game. :)
---------
gimme me chocolate milk
User avatar
Mihoshi20
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:37 am

Mugi wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:07 pm
the chrono trigger clock simulator for nes. Im in! :P
just kidding, this looks really cool, but it really also works as a teaser, because the screen practically gives no indication whatsoever of what kind of game it is or what is it about.

as for the fades, i've started looking into that but im not really sure how it works yet either.
there's a macro in the code base called beginfade.asm which takes a whole load of arguments to do things, some set in constants and some not, and what's in constants/zeropage for this, seems to be disabled (atleast in 4.1.4) so i dont think it's operational as it is without some further poking.
I believe that the face macros are currently broken. A lot of the constants related to it don't seem even hooked up as I've recently been going through the constants and removing old, redundant, and left overs from mystic searches that aren't used or hooked up and a lot of the fade related constants when commented out don't affect assembly at all. Currently only testing the axed constants...(and there was a lot) against the 'adventure module' but I have plans to test against all modules as I build a more universal codebase and comment all aspects and functions of the engine.
User avatar
Mihoshi20
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by Mihoshi20 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:41 am

CutterCross wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:40 pm
justadude wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm
can somebody explain how the fudge did you make that cutscene?
I've made a whole video showing how I made the cutscenes for another game of mine, The Tower of Turmoil.

This game pretty much uses those same techniques, but with scrolling involved.
If I had to take a guess and shot in the dark... I'd say you're still using skip start screen and build your own start screen after loading the intro cutscenes then holds on title screen waiting for a start button press or release before teleporting to where the first level starts or the screen that starts another cutscene which is a really smart way to do it.
User avatar
Mugi
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by Mugi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 am

Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:37 am
I believe that the face macros are currently broken. A lot of the constants related to it don't seem even hooked up as I've recently been going through the constants and removing old, redundant, and left overs from mystic searches that aren't used or hooked up and a lot of the fade related constants when commented out don't affect assembly at all. Currently only testing the axed constants...(and there was a lot) against the 'adventure module' but I have plans to test against all modules as I build a more universal codebase and comment all aspects and functions of the engine.
you're pretty close with this. it turns out that a bunch of code is missing from the whole thing making the macro do nothing even if you restore all the variables and assemblies that are present (atleast in 4.1.4),
even though it does compile assuming you have enough space in 1F to place it there..

oh well....
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
User avatar
Mihoshi20
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Re: When the Clock Hands Stall

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Mugi wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 am
Mihoshi20 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:37 am
I believe that the face macros are currently broken. A lot of the constants related to it don't seem even hooked up as I've recently been going through the constants and removing old, redundant, and left overs from mystic searches that aren't used or hooked up and a lot of the fade related constants when commented out don't affect assembly at all. Currently only testing the axed constants...(and there was a lot) against the 'adventure module' but I have plans to test against all modules as I build a more universal codebase and comment all aspects and functions of the engine.
you're pretty close with this. it turns out that a bunch of code is missing from the whole thing making the macro do nothing even if you restore all the variables and assemblies that are present (atleast in 4.1.4),
even though it does compile assuming you have enough space in 1F to place it there..

oh well....
Hmm, I need to look more into this apparently. Great to see it actually working in some way shape or form. Also loving your dev environment too. I thought about going with a darker theme or more of a 'cyber'-like theme as I had with GameMaker but decided to better match my Linux theme. Many thanks for the heads up on the fades though.
Post Reply