PressStart Game

dale_coop

Re: PressStart Game

Post by dale_coop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you red moon for your feedback.
Yeah you right, if (when) I go back to PressStartGame, the things you said will be on changed.
You right, we don’t see the direction of the player, it makes the game too difficult.
Also, I wanted to add music... something atmospheric... sometimes kinda industrial... alien-ish... but very subtil. A mix between Alien, Metroid and the sanctuaries in Zelda Botw.

And of course a longer adventure...

Atari games was the first games I played and will be always in my heart. A part of my inspirations. As games like Another World (out of this world).

Yeah... a lot of things I would like for that game.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
red moon

Post by red moon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Of course Dale, I know that many demos are tests and not meant to be taken to finality in all cases, but sometimes there to simply exercise a creative idea!

I have many game designs on paper now and unsure of what to do next. Focus on short demos or a longer gaming experience? And by longer, I meant an hour or 2 tops...quite small by today's standards!

I am excited for new updates either way!
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Exactly... I like making small demos, trying different ideas, until I find something I want to develop, go further.
Agreed! For me a NES game could be 45min-1hour, if action/platformer game and maybe 2-3 hours if an adventure, story based game...
I don't have time to play long sessions (family, work, ...). I prefer having a great experience, or a fun moment.

My son asked me too, last night, why I haven't continue that game... and when I will continue... So it might be a sign. I always follow my son's ideas.
When the 5.0 will be out, I will upgrade my project and try to continue the adventure :)
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 pm

You better listen to your son, he is a smart man! :-)
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:09 pm

indeed.
press start game is really fun and one of my favourite nesmaker games in terms of aesthetics. the game looks just beautifull.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Thank you, Mugi, from you it means a lot for me<3
-----
Razzie.P

Post by Razzie.P » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:59 am

dale_coop wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 pm
For me a NES game could be 45min-1hour, if action/platformer game and maybe 2-3 hours if an adventure, story based game...
I don't have time to play long sessions (family, work, ...). I prefer having a great experience, or a fun moment.
When I started scratching out the design for my game, I made notes of how long my kids (and their friends) played the modern games they like on Roblox to get an idea of how long I wanted the game to be. I settled on a playthough time of 20 - 35 mins with (hopefully) replay value in the way of score challenge, and realized that closely mimics some of my favorites from childhood, like Pitfall and Private Eye in a way. Going back to the Atari 2600 days, there. I'm old. :D