Join Lamross In Hell

SpiderDave

PMsxa1Fl.png

z5dwD5j.png

r0A1mfr.gif

8EXPFHF.gif

UvVEOhA.png

Here is my project: "Join Lamross In Hell". Play as a minor demon in a monochromatic whimsical gore setting. There's a lot of work to do, but give it a shot.

View attachment Lamross.zip

EDIT: Updated to v.2019.07.19 Alpha

Bugs:
  • When jumping up through a one-way block, if you attack it becomes solid from the bottom.
  • Music doesn't restart properly after a death. FIXED!
  • Enemies sometimes take more hits than they should. FIXED!
  • Super fast glitchy player after a death, and pressing attack. FIXED!

Mugi

This looks pretty neat.

i have a distant memory that you were working on a lamross game as a SMB2 romhack back in the day, is this gonna be the same thing or a new story ?

Mugi

SpiderDave said:
(and a few introduced!).

:D

sounds like a normal day.
I'll give it a spin later today.

edit: nevermind, got too curious :p

couple things i noticed:

- the music stops when you die.
- the player speed goes up the roof when you die.

not sure if intentional but sometimes the same enemies take different amount of hits to kill. Did you implement a random damage or is it a bug ?

SpiderDave

All bugs.
* I think the player speed after death thing is triggered if you attack just as you die or maybe after you die, even pressing attack button on the new life. It ends up creating a duplicate player (more than one usually), which leaves a trail and doubles/triples all the movement routines etc. Would be a pretty fun bug if it didn't also glitch more things. It's yet another bug I've had when continuing; I'll go over the continue code at some point. Using a door deletes the extra players but the bug still happens when you attack.
* The inconsistent enemy hits is weird and I haven't looked into it yet. I'm gonna add bugs to the first post.

Mugi

you can easily fix that by adding a player alive check on the input scripts,
the player1_object is set to #$FF when the player is dead, so do a CMP #$FF RTS at the start of inputs to disable buttons when dead.

SpiderDave

Actually, the player respawns and everything is normal and he's alive, then you attack and the bug happens anyways. I figured out a fix, but it's weird. It was trying to despawn the player when already despawned, but I had to despawn the death splat or the bug still happens. I notice some other poorly coded stuff, so I just gotta get used to the code base and go through it some more.

EDIT: Updated file in first post.

Mugi

sounds weird.
the way i handle the "splat" is that when the player dies and the splat spawns, i just set the splat's end animation reaction to destroySelf and do reset/continue (i think the default is just JSR loselife or JSR RESET but i dont have lives in my game atm so it's just jumping to continue.)

SpiderDave

Fixed the music bug by setting currentSong to #$FF on death. The thing with monsters taking too many hits was actually this:
The monsters were invincible after being hit, and it was erroneously playing the sound effect confirming a hit. Lack of knockback in most enemies and no flashing made this harder to spot. Since currently the player weapon can only hit one thing at a time I set the monster's invincibility time to 1 (maybe I should've done 0). I'll fix it so the weapon can hit more than one enemy at some point.

Dirk

I love the color scheme, it's very atmospheric. I also loved the way the flies flew.
How did you manage to make ducking actually change the hitbox?
And how did you make the one-way-platforms and dropping down when pressing the down button?

Top Bottom