Oof McBrewster’s Haunted House Adventure - WIP updated

Razzie.P

Oof, if you're reading this, I'm dead. -- Uncle Crodie

001.jpg

Oof McBrewster receives a letter from his dear Uncle Crodie, only to learn that his uncle has died, leaving behind a haunted mansion, a friggin’ fortune, and a call to adventure for our fearless hero.

• Navigate the dangers within Crodie’s mansion
  • Avoid deadly traps and dangerous creatures
  • Arm yourself well with a slingshot and err… coffee
  • Find those scattered notebook pages
  • Go get that fortune!
  • Most importantly… Don’t get GOT!

Screens.jpg

Special thanks for the following forum members for helping make this game happen –

Woogz – sprite design for “Oof” + extra graphics
CutterCross – Music / Sound FX + invaluable feedback
dale_coop – ASM Support
FrankenGraphics – ASM Guides and Info
Red Moon – Feedback + Title Screen Assistance

More info can be found on OofMcBrewster.com
Rom + Extras available on ITCH.IO – however, any member of this forum who wants a copy, feel free to send me a PM and I’ll hook you up.

Last edited:

Razzie.P

A couple bits of (hopefully) helpful gameplay info (stolen from another forum post where we discussed the game a bit) –

• Not all enemies can be shot. At its core, the game design is built around dodging/avoiding the enemies while collecting the items, kinda like Pac-Man (and many other maze type games) I suppose. Some enemies can be shot/destroyed, however. I didn’t specify which, as I decided to leave it up to the player to discover. I loved watching players approach a situation in different ways, often working to find a path around, while I'm thinking "shoulda just shot that thang..." ;)
  • And like Pac-Man, touching a certain item (coffee, in this case) causes you to be invincible and can now destroy the enemies by touching or shooting.
  • To fire the slingshot, the player needs to stop, plant feet nice and solid, aim, and fire. Simply put… just stop moving, then shoot. Oof can’t shoot while running (try as he’d like, he’ll never fit in with those Contra guys) Press B to fire left, and A to fire right.
  • However, if you drink a coffee and are all powered up, the previous point no longer applies. Oof can Run n’ Gun with the best of ‘em!
  • You only need to collect the notebook pages to complete a level. The treasures are optional, but possibly needed for the high score. The goal was to, hopefully, encourage players to find the best possible path though the mansion to amass the most treasure at the end. Sometimes, collecting a treasure might take a bit longer than it’s worth, so you may decide to ignore it and move on.
  • In the event that the timer reaches 0, the game doesn’t end. It just means there’s no more treasure in the vault. So if you reach the end of the game and the vault is empty, you’ll still have any treasure you found along the way, just nothing extra will be added to your total.

Last edited:

dale_coop

Staff member
Played today during my lunch time <3 It's a very cool game, can't wait to continue... And I love the music and the SFX!

Woogz

Just played through all of it this morning, this was really fun. The gameplay had some challenge, but it was very fair. I really like what you've done with the sound design. The music is great, and there's a lot of polish and attention to detail in the sound department especially. and of course I dig the aesthetic :)

The only minor issue I had was I didn't find any use for the slingshot in most of the levels. Since a good chunk of the enemies weren't affected by the slingshot, I spent most of my time strategically avoiding the enemies. I only used the slingshot maybe 7-8 times throughout the whole thing. Even so, I had a lot of fun just playing the way I did. Plus the Coffee invincibility mechanic reminded me a lot of Pac-Man and was a lot of fun whenever I grabbed it. :D

Razzie.P

Fun bit of trivia -- dale_coop's signature (a damn fine cup of coffee) actually inspired the idea to use coffee as the power-up. :D

red moon

I just played through the first couple of levels and loved it! I am at work, so I will go deeper in when I get home. Great use of sound and music and overall I thought the clean monochromatic perspective was really well done!
I loved the coffee and visual for player death and enemy death- hilarious!

Razzie.P

I've been lazy and slacking, but I did make a bit of time to work on some tweaks n' polish and have uploaded the updated WIP at the beginning of this thread. New stuff include --

• Added a proper pause by pressing Start
    Tweaked the "ai" a bit for a few enemies
    Tweaked item score values to make for a more difficult decision between collecting the treasure and hurrying through the levels
    Still primarily an "obstacle course" type of game, but now has 30% more slingshot-required spots
    Changed the color palette on area 3 so Oof's hat doesn't get lost in the gray.
    Updated death animations (red moon has seen these already, new for most everyone else)
    Updated Area Title cards
    A couple new SFX and music tracks
    Added a proper ending sequence with a killer song by CutterCross

Probably more, but it's late and I'm thinking with half brain at the moment, it seems.

Enjoy! And I'm still refining, so of course any feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

Oh, and 1 more thing...

Don't

Get

GOT!

Razzie.P

Any way to move this to the "finished games & Demos" section, or should I just start a new thread there? Not sure what the proper etiquette would be in this case.

I realized the first post has been “needs updated/ info coming soon” for over a year, so figured I should stop procrastinating and update it.

The game was completed a while back, and all boxed copies of the first run sold out. I did an absolute crap job advertising it because I never really took a moment to think “what should I do with this thing?” Several people have emailed asking about a second run, so I dunno – maybe.

Currently, I’ve been hashing out details with a few people who are interested in porting it to PC and Atari 7800, so that/those may be coming in the near future. If so, I’ll be mostly “hands off,” because I’m in the early stages of a follow up game these days - same character, totally different game style.

Anyways, since those handful of lines seems a bit bare since it's been over a year since a proper update of any sort :rolleyes: here's a neat little trailer. Nothing fancy, but found a guy on Fiverr and thought "... this could be fun."

Last edited:

CutterCross

Any way to move this to the "finished games & Demos" section, or should I just start a new thread there? Not sure what the proper etiquette would be in this case.

I realized the first post has been “needs updated/ info coming soon” for over a year, so figured I should stop procrastinating and update it.

The game was completed a while back, and all boxed copies of the first run sold out. I did an absolute crap job advertising it because I never really took a moment to think “what should I do with this thing?” Several people have emailed asking about a second run, so I dunno – maybe.

Currently, I’ve been hashing out details with a few people who are interested in porting it to PC and Atari 7800, so that/those may be coming in the near future. If so, I’ll be mostly “hands off,” because I’m in the early stages of a follow up game these days - same character, totally different game style.

Anyways, since those handful of lines seems a bit bare since it's been over a year since a proper update of any sort :rolleyes: here's a neat little trailer. Nothing fancy, but found a guy on Fiverr and thought "... this could be fun."
What I'd usually do is keep the WIP thread as a development log, and create a new topic under "Finished Games & Demos" with all the official release info.

Congrats on the release!

Top Bottom