Vastus

vasge_

Hello hello!

As I've said on my intro post, I've been making a game based on some of my NES favorites such as Castlevania 3, Zelda 2, etc.
I'm using the Scrolling Platformer module to build it! I initially had a big open world in mind, but for now I've decided to just design a simple temple level to test the waters. I guess it's better not to be too ambitious with this type of stuff, especially as this is basically the first game I've ever designed.

Anyhow, a bit of backstory: I've designed this character and accompanying illustration as part of a character design contest:
water_mage_2.jpg

artwar_rev1.jpg

From the get go I already envisioned her in a side scrolling, action adventure game (as you can see on her concept sheet). After that, I made a basic mockup of what an NES game with these characters would look like:
nes_mock1_upscaled.png

The next step was to adapt her into an NES compatible sprite, so I started drawing out some basic movement animations:
ezgif-3-7878c0a15a30.gif

I was pretty happy with the results, so I started developing! I re-drew her animation frames once again on the pixel editor, cropping out a bunch of frames and editing them slightly to save some space. Then, I made a few screens based on my illustration.

So far, this is what I got! Feedback is much appreciated :D
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=678ZukpZGcM[/media]

SciNEStist

I'm always impressed with what some people can do with only 3 colors and a limited palette. This is very nice looking art.
I would only suggest that with such an asymmetrical character, you do different art for left facing sprites to highlight the claw side.

vasge_

Thanks! And you’re right; things are starting to get a bit crammed in my Game Objects file, but that would actually be a nice detail. I’ll try it out!

Mugi

are you optimizing your tile usage with the game objects ?
simply drawing frames of animation fills it up really fast, but with a bit of extra work and shiru's screentool to help you weed off dublicate tiles and/or identify near dublicate tiles can get you pretty far with how much you can fit into it.

for example, i was able to cram this into mine (my game uses switchable graphics so there's extra objects included with the player, but this does actually fit into the chr without the objects.)
derpa.png

the chr itself looks something like this with dublicates removed:
dummychr_whip.png

vasge_

I see! So far I’ve been optimizing it manually, but I’ll definitely try the tool out tonight. Thank you!
Also, since you commented, I have to say your game is looking amazing man!

dale_coop

Staff member
vasge, your graphics are more than mind blowing!!!! Awesome work already! I love your art style and what you already managed to do. Great work, man <3
Please, keep sharing your progress on Vastus. Can’t wait to see more...

Dirk

Oh, wow! I love your art style and how you managed to implement it in your test game. I love the claw attack too!
The tentacles remind me a bit of Maniac Mansion ^^

vasge_

red moon said:
Yes, this is fantastic start, great sprite work on the environments and the character, really impressive!

Thanks!! I really dig Mark of the Beast as well, I've actually been following it on YT for a bit :D

vasge_

Dirk said:
Oh, wow! I love your art style and how you managed to implement it in your test game. I love the claw attack too!
The tentacles remind me a bit of Maniac Mansion ^^

Thanks! And you're right, I actually had MM in mind when thinking about this tentacle enemy!

Dirk

Cool ^^
I've never finished the first game, but the sequel and some fan games.

In my head I'm already imaging a game booklet with a comic - in the style of the second picture you posted - explaining the backstory of the game.

vasge_

Dirk said:
Cool ^^
I've never finished the first game, but the sequel and some fan games.

In my head I'm already imaging a game booklet with a comic - in the style of the second picture you posted - explaining the backstory of the game.

That’d be a great idea! I might do that ;D

Mugi

vasge_ said:
I see! So far I’ve been optimizing it manually, but I’ll definitely try the tool out tonight. Thank you!
Also, since you commented, I have to say your game is looking amazing man!

Shiru's screen tool is more or less a must-have for nes development. it makes life so easy in so many levels heh.

thanks for the kind words, we're trying really hard with the game. It getting there on the looks department but there's still the whole deal with getting it to play nice too :p

red moon

Thanks!! I really dig Mark of the Beast as well, I've actually been following it on YT for a bit :D

Vasge,
Thank you for following along with the Youtube channel to see the progress! I appreciate it and for your kind words. Most of the videos show various states of features not completely working but there is a play through that follows the demo to the end!

vasge_

Good morning all!

I'm here to post some updates today! I've been making some pretty steady progress with the game. Haven't done much in terms of actual level design, but I've got some fun gameplay additions!

1- Three new monsters
2- Expanded temple/test area
3- Graphical tweaks (inspired by Omega Driver, really hope the creators come back to it, those graphics are mind-blowing!)
4- Character control tweaks

screen1.PNG

screen2.PNG

screen3.PNG

screen4.PNG

There are a few things I haven't quite been able to fix however, such as the Melee object parenting and how to skip the top collision while crouching... but otherwise, the game is feeling pretty good!

I want to work on a title screen or/and a miniboss, so once that's done, I might release a demo! Would you be interested in that?

Dirk

Thanks for your screenshots, lovely screens ^^

vasge_ said:
I want to work on a title screen or/and a miniboss, so once that's done, I might release a demo! Would you be interested in that?

Haha, you must be joking, of course we are interested ^^

red moon

wow, this is amazing! Great progress, I love the palettes you are using for the environments, they compliment the look of the character really well I am all about the Seahorse! Can't wait to play a demo.
I like those clouds too, they are a nice design....clean and repeatable!

Top Bottom