MEGAZAME

Yan

Hello,

My initial plan was to finish this game in my first month with NESmaker but unfortunately I procrastinated a lot.

game_000.pnggame_002.pnggame_007.pnggame_008.png

Basic explanation:

• Collect all the collectables on the screen to go the next level
  • Enemies quickly appear to antagonize you
  • You only have 5 shots per level, they temporarily disable your foes.
  • 100 normal levels with 10 different monster variations.

It's a very unforgiving and random game, you will need to properly understand the AI to exploit it.

What still needs to be implemented:

• Better score system (It should take your remaining shots and total lives into account)
  • Music and effects (The ones being used are just placeholders from NESmaker)
  • "Press Start" animation on start screen.
  • Victory Screen should display your final score.
  • Prettier HUD.
  • A timer? (not 100% sure about it)
  • Maybe a few level tweaks based on feedback?
  • Credits somewhere so I can properly thank this community (especially dale_coop) for all the help

Known problems:

• The score glitches out after you die once
  • The lives are counted in hexadecimal for some reason
  • The zap meter appears to be empty at first, shooting too fast also glitches it out
  • Hitting two enemies with the same projectile makes one of them disappear forever (I kinda like this one tbh)
  • You can shoot while doing your victory pose, this might make you go out of bounds
  • The last level contains an "enemy death animation" that isn't displayed on the right place and which might not take you to the win screen.
  • "dead" enemies absorb your shots instead of just phasing through them.
  • You can shoot too fast with a turbo button which glitches out the HUD.

Here is the unfinished game if you want to try it out:

Attachments

• unfinished_megazame.rar
    33.4 KB · Views: 89

Yan

ALL MONSTERS.png

These are all the enemies found in game with their "debut" colors.
I don't have final names for any of them yet, I just use basic nicknames and stuff.
I might post about their individual behavior and what strategies could be used against them later.

Yan

Changes:
  • Changed the ammo meter text to MGC instead of ZAP
  • Decided to keep the final HUD design simple
  • Fixed the score glitch
  • Fixed ammo appearing empty at first
  • Created some SFX
  • Made very small tweaks to the Title Screen and Win Screen

Pretty new to famitracker, the music is going to be very bare-bones for this project (part of the charm maybe? :lol:)

I'm having problems with what still needs to be added / fixed. i Would appreciate if anyone reading this helped me out :mrgreen:

Dirk

I liked playing your game. Those eyes shooting at me annoyed the hell out of me (in a good way).
Sadly there are some slowdowns (my emulator runs in PAL mode so that's also a factor), when there are two shooting eyes and an enemy, but that's a NESmaker problem. I don't know if you can find a fix for it (which would be amazing and awesome though).
I think somewhere in the forums is a thread to reduce slow down by about 3-4%, it's by FrankenGraphics. I haven't tested it though.

One thing I would like is moving diagonally :)

You could also add a power up that makes you invincible for a short time period.

Yan

I really appreciate your feedback!

The screens only have 1 enemy that shoots when there are 4 monsters in total to have the least slowdown possible, was hoping 2 shooters out of 3 wouldn't be too much either. The script you mentioned was already implemented in the "demo" too. Definitely need to look for more fixes to help lessen the problem.

Player movement being only 4 way and the lack of an invicibility power up are intentional but better mobility and powerups (along with better stage variety both visually and mechanically) are things to look out for in a sequel :mrgreen:

axbakk

I struggle too with slowdowns due to shooting enemies.. the ideal is like Max 4 sprites at once in a Single screen.. and of you begin to count: Player (1), enemy1 (2), enemy2 (3), one enemy fires (4), you shoot (5)... so you dont need much in a screen to suffer from slowdowns.. hopefully some update in the future Will fix this in some way. šŸ˜Š

Dirk

Too bad about the slowdowns. I really hope this gets improved in the next version.

Yes, diagonal movement would change the game mechanics a lot.
Personally I want to make a game one day with tile based movement, so that you can only stop walking every 16 pixels. This way you have no problems walking past walls. I haven't looked into movement scripts regarding this though, as in the moment I'm focused on platforming games.

Yan

I'm very satisfied with how the game turned out (even if a little more polish wouldn't hurt) so I have decided to finally release it!

Attachments

• MEGAZAME.rar
    32.5 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom