Project DART

CutterCross

Project DART

Post by CutterCross » Thu May 14, 2020 6:27 am

I've been doing a bit of R&D stuff with NESmaker behind the scenes, so I thought I'd start on a small-scale project to build on all of this. Introducing Project DART.

I'm not going to say much specific stuff about what I plan this project to be, I'm just going to post updates as they're finished.

I've been doing some tests with horizontal mirroring and PPU movement to create fast infinite screen-wrapping. I've combined that with Dale Coop's palette-cycling routines to create some fake parallax scrolling effects for the background, though they're more noticeable at slow speeds. Also I've been doing more tinkering with DPCM sample playback and looping with Bxx, which I'm incorporating into the music.

Of course I appreciate any and all feedback!

Special thanks to Kasumi and Dale Coop for helping with many of these features.
dale_coop

Re: Project DART

Post by dale_coop » Thu May 14, 2020 9:31 am

Wow! Visually the effects are very VERRY impressive!
Congrats, can't wait to play to that game! Maybe at the Byte Off Competition?
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
My son's game: KUBO 3
fjamesfernandez

Post by fjamesfernandez » Thu May 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Love it. Keep it up.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Thu May 14, 2020 7:08 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:31 am
Wow! Visually the effects are very VERRY impressive!
Congrats, can't wait to play to that game! Maybe at the Byte Off Competition?
Thanks! I was hoping I could pull something together for Byte-Off'20, though I guess it depends on how much people care about enforcing how submitted games must be built during the actual competition period. I think its safe to assume from last year that nobody really cared about that. Most users just submitted their current project they've been working on, and honestly I think that's for the better. I'd rather have Byte-Off encourage people to start making more games than discourage them from starting just because the competition hasn't arrived yet.

The real appeal of Byte-Off for me is just the opportunity to have our projects showcased and given some extra publicity from Joe and other retro outlets. Nobody's gonna care if they were made in a certain time period, they're just happy to see more games being made.

Anyway, mini rant about Byte-Off over, haha. I'll hopefully make something out of this whole project soon.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 pm

With Dale Coop's help I can finally properly test this on original NES hardware! We managed to get the INL programmer boards to start flashing with horizontal mirroring.

TakuikaNinja

Post by TakuikaNinja » Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 am

You absolute madlad.
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri May 15, 2020 4:15 am

TakuikaNinja wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 am
You absolute madlad.
That's sort of my theme now, isn't it? Haha
fjamesfernandez

Post by fjamesfernandez » Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 am

Its great that you have Dale helping. Wish there was more people like him out there.
jorotroid

Post by jorotroid » Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm

That looks really amazing, Cutter!
I am a little confused why you would have had to switch to horizontal mirroring for it, though. Do you use the second nametable at all?
CutterCross

Post by CutterCross » Fri May 15, 2020 4:16 pm

jorotroid wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm
That looks really amazing, Cutter!
I am a little confused why you would have had to switch to horizontal mirroring for it, though. Do you use the second nametable at all?
You don't have to use horizontal mirroring for something like this. You could use the 2nd nametable with vertical mirroring, yes. But I went with horizontal mirroring because it was easier and I can use it for some other scrolling effects I want to try out down the road. (Also it's one of the first NESmaker projects to use horizontal mirroring and it helped test out getting the INL USB programmers to flash to horizontal mirroring, etc. It makes a good showcase piece for that.)