Pink Face NES [wip]

erockbrox

Here is my NESmaker project that I'm working on. As I get better and better with the program I will be able to make better and better games with it. Here is just what I've created so far just by learning the program. FYI traveling north and south on the screen is kind of strange because of the invisible hud that is blocking certain tiles.

GRwf7U3.png

I tried attaching the rom but this message board said "incorrect attachment extension" which is total BS. So here is the other thread where you can download the link to the rom.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17500&p=223693#p223693

erockbrox

Okay I have a question, I am trying to work on my project again and need some help maybe. I'm still using the pi 3.1415.... version of the engine which is an older version. But since my project is in here I'm assuming it will break if opened with the latest version.

Okay so here is my question. I have 5 pillars (columns) in the game. I'm wanting the goal of the game to be if you collect these 5 pillars (each is just a 16x16 size tile) then you win the game. Does anyone know how to make this happen? Or it could be that the graphic changes or something once you walk over the tile. Thanks

PS I fixed the hud so that you don't run into invisible walls and such.

jcramer

I think there's a code around here for that, something about collecting keys in ask for help section, I think... Honestly you'd probably be better off re-creating the game in 4.1.5 (would probably only take a few hours to do) there's a lot more scripts available for it and you'll be able to keep it going with new versions. But totally up to you.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, you could use keys... and with a small code in the collect Keys script, you could check if 5, you call the Win animation / WinGame screen.

erockbrox

^ wow thanks guys. Yeah, I'm totally expanding on the game and I'm going for something engaging yet simplistic. Like the goal is literally to just find 5 objects and then you win. But I'm making the overworld very big so it is at least pretty interesting.

Also one thing that is also kind of bugging me is the "terrible" left,right,up,down controls. For example, if I mash the D-pad the player will be locked into going one way then despite what other buttons I press on the d-pad.

I'm a big supporter of making new NES games, but I have found this nesmaker program to be very hard to understand.

CutterCross

erockbrox said:
Also one thing that is also kind of bugging me is the "terrible" left,right,up,down controls. For example, if I mash the D-pad the player will be locked into going one way then despite what other buttons I press on the d-pad.

8-directional movement isn't that hard to set up in 4.1.X actually. Helps alleviate this problem A LOT: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2760

erockbrox

Okay guys. I need help. BIG help.

My project is still using the beta pi version. The 3.14....... version.

What is the current version. How do I import my game over to the new version. All I really did was work on my overworld map which is this:

SvIgRUi.png

It turns out, its a big game. Simple concept though. Just search for the 5 items and win.

I need step by step help. Thanks.

dale_coop

Staff member
It's too big to be ported to the new version... I'd suggest to finish your project in the Pi version... and start a new project with the new version.
(keep in mind that a new version might be released soon)

erockbrox

I still need help with the following:

- 8 directional movement
- Collect 5 things to trigger the "WIN screen"

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Again I'm using the PI version.

dale_coop

Staff member
If you are using the old version (Pi), an old 8 direction movement topic: http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=3953#p3953

Top Bottom