Light From Within Demo

Bucket Mouse

Re: Light From Within Demo

Post by Bucket Mouse » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Elarath wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:42 pm
Also Bucket Mouse, is your name from Link's Awakening?
Yes. There actually is not a Bucket Mouse -- the line was a reference to a bait and tackle shop in Japan called The Bucketmouth. The error is still in the Switch version.
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 pm

I also noticed that on my NES the hud gets cut off from the top. I was not on a CRT tv. Are these things something I need to compensate for? Would building the game around a smaller play area eliminate those problems?
the CRT thing is called overscan.
on a CRT enviroment, the edges of the screen can and will get cut off to a various degree depending on the TV used,
it is generally adviced to not use the top and bottom 8 pixels for gameplay critical information to avoid having it rendered invisible. (I.E., leave the top row of your hud empty)
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 am

Mugi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 pm
I also noticed that on my NES the hud gets cut off from the top. I was not on a CRT tv. Are these things something I need to compensate for? Would building the game around a smaller play area eliminate those problems?
the CRT thing is called overscan.
on a CRT enviroment, the edges of the screen can and will get cut off to a various degree depending on the TV used,
it is generally adviced to not use the top and bottom 8 pixels for gameplay critical information to avoid having it rendered invisible. (I.E., leave the top row of your hud empty)
The top row of the hud is just a border, so it is empty essentially. But I may shift the text or textbox around if there is a danger of it not being seen.

Does this same thing happen when hooked up with HDMI say with the AVS system?
Raftronaut

Post by Raftronaut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm

This is outstanding work

great presentation
Space Raft demo updates: [url]http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867[/url]

Chiptune:[url] https://soundcloud.com/user-634230995-350638590 [/url]
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 am

Raftronaut wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm
This is outstanding work

great presentation
Thank you!
Basty

Post by Basty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:05 am

While I understand aesthetic of the concept, using Ä as A and Ö as O is a terrible design choice especially considering european audience.
I can give you a voice clip why if you don't believe me. XD

And good lord I thought I was having a fricking stroke when I went to heal my character. Thanks for trolling me.

Bugs found
- A heart from bush will hurt you if you contact it before it appears on screen. This happens in a screen with a secret.
- Two hearts and a hole appears on leftmost side of the screen once in a while in dungeon. "It seems like it happens outside of the dungeon as well but with different sprites"
- Sword won't work on grass when facing up and being too close to it.
- Worm enemies move sometimes after they are being attacked.
A new genesis of the nes era has begun!
Elarath

Post by Elarath » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 am

Basty wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:05 am
And good lord I thought I was having a fricking stroke when I went to heal my character. Thanks for trolling me.

Bugs found
- A heart from bush will hurt you if you contact it before it appears on screen. This happens in a screen with a secret.
- Two hearts and a hole appears on leftmost side of the screen once in a while in dungeon. "It seems like it happens outside of the dungeon as well but with different sprites"
- Sword won't work on grass when facing up and being too close to it.
I'm not sure I follow...

Also, those are known bugs, but are pretty low priority until I have the rest of the mechanics working. They aren't game breaking and are more minor inconveniences, but thank you for bringing them to my attention. If by worm enemies you are referring to the ones that dig and disappear, this was more of a choice to give the player an opportunity to see what direction they are moving.
Basty

Post by Basty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am

Elarath wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 am
Basty wrote:
I'm not sure I follow...
Sudden language change when I was reading the healing tomes.
I wasn't really expecting that 4am in the morning especially when it was already quite eye straining to read the text itself for Ä and Ö are
in alphabeth especially in scandinavian countries and has their own vocals.
Elarath wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 am
Basty wrote:

If by worm enemies you are referring to the ones that dig and disappear, this was more of a choice to give the player an opportunity to see what direction they are moving.
Yes those. Personally I think that is pretty poor design choice especially if they're only intended to hurt player when they are on above the ground.
More than often I took damage from their moving than suddenly popping up.
A new genesis of the nes era has begun!