Nesmaker Question

dale_coop

Staff member
You can set 4 different monsters per screen (if scrolling screens... consider all the scrolling part as a long screen, so only 4 different monsters can be set).
The total different (type) monsters for your game is 64.
Of course you can use a monster several times... as many time as you want.

PasseGaming

I was going to answer this one but I wasn't sure exactly what was being asked. Figured I'd leave it to the pros.

toonyman2019

You can set 4 different monsters per screen (if scrolling screens... consider all the scrolling part as a long screen, so only 4 different monsters can be set).
The total different (type) monsters for your game is 64.
Of course you can use a monster several times... as many time as you want.
how is it that this only has the ability to do just 4 monster I know the nes was capable of more than 4 monsters on the screen at once. anyone remembers all those Zelda dungeons crawling with a good of amount of monster ready to tare you apart? many dungeons would have over.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.unilad.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F02%2Fzelda-dungeon.png

there's a total of six character in this image if you include the player, I seen and played to where there's more than this, as shown below!

gfghf.png
over nine and animated objects that all interact with you as the player all in this one screen.

gbg.png
this one is over ten animated characters running around in one screen.

Just please tell me that this is not the case and that there be a fix to this limitation by the next update! 3 characters is not a game like it would be on the nes!
there another software out there like the nesmaker but for the gameboy and it don't have these small limitations! you can even burn them to a gameboy physical cartridge and is for the original gameboy at that! it's called "GB Studio."

here the website GB Studio if anyone wants to take a look.

dale_coop

Staff member
It's a NESmaker arbitrary limitation, in order to avoid slowdowns... The game engine is not optimized, and when you will have more objects on screens, the gam will be soooo laggy.

But if you want, you can add more monsters, by code:

toonyman2019

well as long as you can add more monsters then it's all good! I can just test the maximum it can handle before it starts to slow down and make a game base on that new data! one question? what about monster sizes those that effect how laggy it may get also? such a smaller monster as appose to, bigger monsters?

Jonny

I don't know about lag for monster object size but if you make them too big you might get some strange things happening with base NM engine. Also remember 8 sprites per scanline. Zelda will cycle through the sprites, causing flicker, that's not written into NM as standard. It's more to do with how many sprites the GPU can handle and how much their is to process with everything as the screen updates.

Top Bottom