Screen-by screen stealth game

SpiderDave

Here's an idea for a game I had (Not sure if I'll make it or not):

Basically think of something that plays somewhat like Pitfall (Atari 2600) with a ninja/assassin/stealth theme. Pitfall was all about timing, waiting, moving at the right time, and there were lots of screens with slight variations. So for example instead of crocodiles with mouths opening and closing, you might have guards looking in either direction or a moving searchlight, and you could use a button to hide behind a tree or something (Think Mark of the Ninja). It'd be tempting to let him use a sword and just kill everything, but it's actually more interesting if you actually use stealth only (perhaps you could still attack a boss or final target of the level). In Pitfall there are pits you can fall down; I imagine something like this being used to just hide from vision briefly, but you could also use the lower area (Probably a sewer) for an alternate path through an area.

Mugi

you'd be in for writing a pile of custom functions for this but atleast some of them are definitely doable, some already done.
project kunoichi has a mechanic that hides the player in the shadows (no hitbox when hidden) which is rather easy to do (give the player an action state with no hitbox)

i can see how enemies looking at you or looking away could be done by using a proximity to player + facing direction + a check to see that the Y-pos of the player and enemy would match..

it could be an interesting game, not to mention the fact that if the mechanics revolve around being hidden/avoiding things, you wouldn't need to use things like enemies that shoot projectiles or so, so less slowdowns and more
room for other interesting things too.

MHZ

Nice idea. I'm trying also to do a one screen platformer a la pitfall. Just trying to figure out how to stand on moving platform and make ropes.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep nice idea.
In "Project Kunoichi" the hiding to avoid enemies part was my favorite one.

Top Bottom