Weird tile glitch

suddenly I am having random sections of tile pop up in the same place on the screen, on some screens but not others.

It seems to coincide with me creating a health tile. But, it doesn't just happen on screens with a health tile on it.

It also seems like it doesn't occur until I have at some point picked up a health tile. then it starts doing this.

Also, in this screen it is showing a section of health tile in the wall. On another screen, it is in the same location but it is a different piece of tile from the tileset.

weirdtileglitch.png

(I can't upload an image directly into the forum for some reason. Says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

yep!

left edge, 6th tile up from bottom (counting in 8x8)

Maybe it has nothing to do with the health pickup I made and I just never noticed before. It happens in rooms that I haven't spent a lot of time in with testing so that is possible.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep sure it's related to the hud... I could not find how to fix it, so I tried to find with tile (from my tileset is drawn, and I keep it black... trying to make it less visible :p)

dale_coop

Staff member
Don't know if someone found how to fix that glitch.
After doing some tests, it looks like it's related to the HUD drawing (the FillBoxArea)... and look like the glitch appears on screens only ofter a text box had bee displayed in the game.
If no text box displayed... no glitch on any screen.
If a text box... every next screen you visit will have this glitch
This tile seems to be always at the same place... but not always the same tile.
And it seems to be specific to the NoScroll module.

dale_coop

Staff member
BentPawGames said:
yep!

left edge, 6th tile up from bottom (counting in 8x8)

Maybe it has nothing to do with the health pickup I made and I just never noticed before. It happens in rooms that I haven't spent a lot of time in with testing so that is possible.

Hey BentPawGames, don't know if you still have this glitch.... but I think I found it!
To fix it, open the HandleScreenLoads.asm script (in your System\ subfolder), and search "doneWithScreenTransition:" and just after that line, add this 2 lines code:
Code:
doneWithScreenTransition:

LDA #$00
	STA updateNametable  ;;<<---dale_coop: fix for the glitch tile drawn on the left part of the screen

Now it should be fixed.

I also was having this glitch.

Thanks again dale for always coming to the rescue! :)
That was the last annoying glitch that remained from my byte-off submission, so no I can focus completely on new content.

dale_coop

Staff member
I understand your feeling.... I have this glitch since I switched on the NoScroll core and it was annoying me. When you see the glitch you can’t unsee it >_<
I had the same with my 2 players core (because based on the NoScroll core).

Glad to have fixed it.

Thanks so much! I'll give this a try!

I noticed watching people playing my games that they would go over to those glitched tiles to see if they were anything (incidentally, they notice that, but not other things they are supposed to do that seemed obvious to me) ;)

Atarath

I get tile glitches when breaking blocks, killing certain enemies, and such. Was there any update to this glitch? Maybe they are related in a way?

Atarath

dale_coop said:
The code I proposed might fix it.

I did try that fix, but I do see the same tile bug out when I break blocks. Also, one specific hud tile bugs out on what seems to be random screen transitions.

Update: the screens that would occasionally hud glitch no longer do so when they are triggered.

dale_coop

Staff member
Your hud glitch could just be objects?
On that scree, try to remove all monsters / game objects (right click and "reset placements") and place again your monsters/game objects.

For the glitch on break blocks... not sure, it appears as soon as you break the tile? or when you come back on the same screen?

Atarath

The tiles break fine normally.

After I speak to an NPC, the tiles break and give a glitch in that same spot. I've been trying to trace the cause. I'm not sure if some variable is getting corrupted when you open a text box.
After I speak with an NPC, it happens regardless if I change screens.

Atarath

2KkCz2x.png

My hud disappears during text on odd number screens.

oNTOmTt.png

You can see the missing tile after breaking a block.

bUCX5Nn.png

This shows the missing tile from the hud on certain screens. You are right that when a monster isn't present, the hud doesn't glitch.

dale_coop

Staff member
The hud that disappears after the text on odd screens is a known bug.
You should try designing your game keening that in mind... (unless/until this bug is fixed)

For the missing/empty tiles... hum... the fix on the first page should have fixed it. I guess in your case, a similar bug in another part of the code.

Top Bottom