compiling error

Joe_Cracker

I'm trying to compile a scrolling platformer but this error keeps coming up. It keeps saying "value not in range" how do I fix this?

http://nesmakers.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1692

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,896

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
The second post here is related to the first. It could not create the rom (failed) so when it went to open it in the emulator, there was no rom file for it to open. That's normal.

As for the value being out of range, this happens when a data bank has overflowed. Possible causes:
1) You overwrote one of the tilesets with the wrong size graphic, causing there to be too much graphic data in one bank.
2) You added too much music, causing there to be too much music in one bank.
3) You wrote some custom code and one of your code banks got all used up.

My advice is stick real close to the tutorials until you have a handle on these things.

dale_coop

Staff member
You might have a incorrect hud element set somewhere (in your hud tiles or hud variables or in the hud elements... check each, their types,...).
What is the last modifications you made before you got the error?

Joe_Cracker

I was able to figure to fix it. I had a third unused hud element when I only needed 2. I fixed that and now there is another issue. Everytime I fit a prizeblock or goal flag something it starts raining duplicates of the player character.

dale_coop

Staff member
I suppose the Prize bloc giving you a item... but if you didn’t set your pickup items. It might just produce an object (part of your player’s head) that falls again and again...
First, i’d suggest you to set all your pickups objects (set as pickup and a bounding box at least!)
Same for the goal, it produces a win object, the 10th object if I remember well (you can check the exact value in the user constants). So you need to set it too.

I also suggest to watch again the tutorial videos.

Joe_Cracker

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to do all that today It is mothers day after all here is the current rom as it is. I followed the tutorial for the 20 minute scrolling platform and the steps you mentioned where omitted from the video.

View attachment G10005 test.zip

dale_coop said:
I suppose the Prize bloc giving you a item... but if you didn’t set your pickup items. It might just produce an object (part of your player’s head) that falls again and again...
First, i’d suggest you to set all your pickups objects (set as pickup and a bounding box at least!)
Same for the goal, it produces a win object, the 10th object if I remember well (you can check the exact value in the user constants). So you need to set it too.

I also suggest to watch again the tutorial videos.

dale_coop

Staff member
You right, the scrolling platformer tutorial video doesn't go into the details :p
Also, if you use the scrolling module, for all your pickups you should set the "edge object reaction" to "Screen Extend" (to not have them to "ghost" on every screen of your scrolling screens).

Top Bottom