Scripting gravity-less jumping mechanic

Raftronaut

I am looking for help scripting (and thinking through) a unique tile type for my shooter module game that would trigger a jumping animation state without having to implement any sort of gravity physics.

I've created a special animation state in my player object called "jumping" and animated my character moving in an arch. I Would like this animation state to ignore all collisions and travel in a set trajectory, maybe upwards about 6-8 pixels and then back down again, appearing to pass over background solid objects while skipping collisions until the player returns to the main animation state and begin checking for collisions again. My problem is, I am unfamiliar with how to script the code to tell my player to "enter XXX animation state and alter X coordinate by ___ amount" before I can assign it to my "RAMP" tile type game-38.png

Rough Animation frame to be used in jumping animation where collision is ignored :JUMP ARCH.PNG

Rough animation Frame to be used in animation state "decent" where collision is re enabled: JUMP DECENT.PNG

I am uncertain if this is the smartest way to achieve a fake jumping effect. If there are better methods your feedback is welcome.
Since my game only scrolls at one speed there would only ever be one momentum resulting in a set arch, assuming that, I would prefer to omit any physics and save the space and requirements on the engine.

I've searched for other examples in the licensed NES library that may describe the same Game mechanic and I found examples in Paperboy, T&C Surf design, and Ghostbusters 2 (usa version). None of these games really appear to have gravity physics working (maybe GB2) as the jumping appears to be set to a pre-determined arch, but I could be entirely wrong. The Ramp mechanic in Paperboy seems especially relevant to my applications, jumping only happens at the end of the levels when the ramp tiles are present. I took this gameplay footage to help dissect. https://youtu.be/Tc5pf89KY1I

I've had this idea on the back burner for months and have not had any idea how to implement it with my limited knowledge of ASM, so any programming guidance would be appreciated. I watched several of the nemsaker playthroughs after submitting my demo to the byte off competition and players seemed to unanimously want to get some sweet air! As did I, I just lacked the skills to implement the mechanics...... Thanks for reading :)

Top Bottom