Screen Refusing to Scroll

FormulaFanboy

Screen Refusing to Scroll

Post by FormulaFanboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Hello! I am in scrolling platformer module, and I've run in to an issue... there are some levels in the game that when you get to the end, you go down into a pit and there's a second part to the level that goes left. Up until now, this has not caused any issues, but for some reason, now when you're dropped down, after getting to the very edge of the screen, some kind of seemingly invisible barrier blocks the screen from scrolling any further. Needless to say, this is a huge issue for the game as it cuts many levels in half. Does anyone know what this could be caused by or how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by FormulaFanboy on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mugi

Re: Screen Refusing to Scroll

Post by Mugi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:10 am

scrolling to left direction is extremely broken in the vanilla nesmaker engine and doing that will make you amongst other things run into all sorts of invisible walls depending on what actually exists at the right side of the screen.
the map is not actually a square of 16x16 screens though, instead, the map is a sequential corridor that is 256 screens long. when you get to the last screen of a row on the map, the next screen to the right will be the first screen of the next row.
you can simply make your stages longer in a horizontal direction instead of jumping down and going to left if that is an option for your game.

alternatively, jorotroid shared a module somewhere in the archive subforum that is capable of actually scrolling into 2 directions, but moving your game into a new module will propably require you to rework a lot of things.
if scrolling is important for you though, it might be worth the effort, since you wont be getting really far scrolling in left direction or 2 directions with the vanilla engine, it's sole purpose is to have a SMB style one directional scroll to the right.
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:15 am

I have a similar problem when I backtrack in my levels. I my case it is only a one block high invisible area so I can jump over it. Is yours the height of the whole screen?
I have scroll left and right activated which is known to be glitchy. Do you have only right or left set in your individual screens?
-----
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so mistakes are bound to happen.
FormulaFanboy

Post by FormulaFanboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 am

Dirk wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:15 am
I have a similar problem when I backtrack in my levels. I my case it is only a one block high invisible area so I can jump over it. Is yours the height of the whole screen?
I have scroll left and right activated which is known to be glitchy. Do you have only right or left set in your individual screens?
The height of mine is the whole screen, and I only ever have either L or R scrolling activated on a screen.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 am

I think I found the thread Mugi mentioned.

Here is a link to jorotroid's post with a download for his module: [url] http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1950&start=30#p16131 [/url]

I hope NESmaker 5.0 will fix these bugs. At the moment scrolling is nice and all, but for me it is still too broken to really use it and I'm switching back and forth between a non-scrolling and a scrolling version of my game.
-----
FormulaFanboy

Post by FormulaFanboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 am

Interestingly, it seems not to be an issue with scrolling. I just disabled all scrolling on the screen and the barrier is still there...
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:50 am

When you click on the "collision" button in the level editor in the problematic screen, are the collisions set correctly or is there a column of "01" which stands for "solid"?
That's probably not your problem, but worth a shot.
-----
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:11 am

the bug in question is in the collision code and it's related to the wrapping of nametables. Basically your invisible wall appears when the rightmost tile in your screen is a solid tile, and it's collision data is registered on the left side
because of how the screen and screen attributes wrap. there is a fix for it somewhere in the forum, but that fix only fixes the issue for the non-scrolling module (even if you dont use scroll in the scrolling module, the bug is still there.)
"what are you up to?" "Oh, not much... just... Parallaxing"
- Raftronaut
FormulaFanboy

Post by FormulaFanboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:36 am

Mugi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:11 am
the bug in question is in the collision code and it's related to the wrapping of nametables. Basically your invisible wall appears when the rightmost tile in your screen is a solid tile, and it's collision data is registered on the left side
because of how the screen and screen attributes wrap. there is a fix for it somewhere in the forum, but that fix only fixes the issue for the non-scrolling module (even if you dont use scroll in the scrolling module, the bug is still there.)
I know what you're talking about; I've had to deal with that in Adventure Module games, but that's not it. I tried making the tiles on the far right null walkable which should fix it if it were that, but it did nothing.
FormulaFanboy

Post by FormulaFanboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 am

Dirk wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:50 am
When you click on the "collision" button in the level editor in the problematic screen, are the collisions set correctly or is there a column of "01" which stands for "solid"?
That's probably not your problem, but worth a shot.
I wish it was as simple as that, but sadly, no... I checked that pretty much before anything else and all is set up correctly.