Usage of the DrawText Macro

slk7

Has anyone figured out the pieces to how the DrawText macro works? Having done a grep on the full code base, it doesn't seem that anything actually uses this macro, so there doesn't seem to be any examples to look at.

I basically want to use it for writing the stage title on a primitive stage selection screen I'm working on. I don't really want to hijack my HUD setup, and I have it disabled on this screen anyways. I have a spot on the map that is cleared for text to be drawn at. I was hoping there was a way I could use the DrawText macro to say draw TextX from the Text strings in the IDE at the given location. That way as the player moves between stage selections, I could update and display the appropriate title.

From what I understand, the x/y arguments should be where to draw the text, but I don't know how to tell it what text to draw. Looking around at other declared variables in the engine, I see things like screenText, stringGroupPointer, stringGroupOffset, stringEnd, etc. I also see DrawText call into HandleTextBoxes.asm for the function getUpdateTileOffsetPosition.

But I haven't yet figured out how all of the pieces fit together yet.

Does anyone have any usage examples?

Top Bottom