20 Min project help

virtuaricky

Hey gang! So...

Just messing around after taking a year off from the original launch version of NESMAKER - I decided to jump back in on a 20 min simple platformer. I follow every step and it works like a charm...but when I start to change palettes and edit my own graphics everything stops functioning properly.

Is there some big glaring thing that perhaps I'm missing?

Help appreciated!

Cheers!

dale_coop

Staff member
Make sure to set the sprite 0 tile (hud & boxes AND the non-transparent tile in the GameObjectsTiles.bmp)
Don't forget to watch ALL the tutorials... ;)
(specifically the Sprite Zero one)

virtuaricky

Okay, some progress. My graphics are all function and back to normal but by the time I get to my third "scrolled" screen my HUD "wipes off" as I scroll. Ideas?

Raftronaut

Is the screen set to hide hud?

Something is likely OFF about sprite zero, Joe mentions this type of "hud wipe" in the Sprite zero video...

It can be confusing at first, but once set it should be easy to work with

dale_coop

Staff member
It sure is the "Sprite Zero" that is not correctly set.
Could you share a screenshot of your HUD & Boxes? And a screenshot of your GameObjectTiles tileset?

virtuaricky

Whew!

Okay...I watched the tutorial for the 100th time and here is what I found.

The part where he said "hold R" to make sure your text is continuously white....that did it!

Crazy!

Now on to music!

Thank you all so much for the help!

dale_coop

Staff member
Ah ah, yeah the "R" key on the hud area... on all your screens (and the screen before and after... because the engine always loads 2 screens, the current screen and the next screen the hud attributes are kinda... mixed)

virtuaricky

One other thing. I tried to manually add a "shoot a projectile" function to the simple scrolling platformer and it totally crapped out...

...any chance you could help with that?

I'm trying to get to a point where everything is in place and functions so I can go nuts designing a few levels.

dale_coop

Staff member
I understand... it's not very easy to add projectiles natively in the NESmaker 4.1.5 platformer modules (every screens using gravity).
But I made a tutorial for that:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1703

Top Bottom