Special screens.

axbakk

Hello there..
Just wondering how to make like a ”level” screen between levels.. and maybe When you die a screen that tells how many lives you got left before the level start over.
Have not checked the special screen tutorial to many times yet but think it just shows a start screen.

In my mind.. like this.
A game start screen.. press start.. jumps to a levelscreen ”level 1 - get ready”... press start.. level start.. you die .. jumps to ”2 lives left screen.. press start.. level starts over.. you get to the flag and win.. jump to ”level 2 screen.. press start.. level 2 begins.. etc. Etc..
Using the scrolling platformer mod and just wonder if this is possible and if someone got something that can help me.. 😊

Regard from Sweden

dale_coop

Staff member
For your Pre-level screens... Use a normal screen with HIDE HUD (& hiding the player maybe), and using a invisible monster to warp to next after some time(r). Like a cutscene screen (search for that word on the forum).
Be creative...
pre-level1 screen -warp-> level1 -Win-Warp-> pre-level2 screen -warp-> level2 ...

axbakk

Yeah but that hiding of player. How does that work? You have to set a warp zone after the ”win animation”. And that would be the new pre level screen.. but i dont want the player in that.. then When the invisible monster + timer had gone it Will warp to the level.. how do i set the player to show up at the right place again? 😊
Will play around with it but it would be nice to know a little how to do before. 😊

dale_coop

Staff member
Here's how I usually do:
All my pre-levels use a specific screen-type (for,example "255"), then I modify my Handle Sprite Drawing script... checking the current screenType, if it's equal to my specific pre-level screen type ("255"), I skip the sprite drawing.
Like that, on all my pre-levels, there is no sprite drawns (= not visible).

As I said... search for "custcene" on the forum (yeah, I know it's easier to ask then search... ;) but you need to find/expriment things by yourself ;))
... just in case, here's the post: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=17888#p17888

axbakk

Thanks.. Now i got something to play with.
Absolutly i Will play around and test and get creative but for a noob like me i need just a little to go on before i play around. I did not even know there were a script that handle that stuff. 😂

But again.. big thanks 👌🏻

Raftronaut

as far as hiding the player sprite, I don't have the script off the top of my head, but cuttercross explains his "disappear tile" script in his cutscene tutorial. If you warp your character onto the disappear tile it will not draw and will be ready to assemble your cutscene screen.

I think you'll have to set up an animation state for "disappear" that should only be blank tiles. It will be triggered upon touching the tile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha1NBeVyYQ8&t=1s

dale_coop

Staff member
But I think it doesn't work anymore with the 4.1.5.
Another solution, is this one:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=17888#p17888

axbakk

i begun with yours yesterday Dale.. but did not got it to work so tried cuttercross also.. but no luck. But then it hit me that I maybe missed something in the monster animation with yours Dale. (got the screen working with no player nor monster but it never warped.)
Will try again now before bedtime.. :)

axbakk

tested yours again Dale.
Just got stuck on that screen.. it never warps..
im doing something wrong...

Have made a monster with action step 0 --> end anim = advance
action step 1 ---> end anim = warp

I have set warp out X,y on that screen and a warp in on the next screen..
screen type = 255
Player and monster is unvisible but im stuck, never warps

Raftronaut

dale_coop said:
But I think it doesn't work anymore with the 4.1.5.
Another solution, is this one:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=17888#p17888

I am using the Cutter's disappear tile in my game! It works great! I may have edited his code some, but it's the same concept. Forcing an invisible player state ...

Your cutscene screen type is a much better and more stable solution though ;)

Raftronaut

axbakk said:
tested yours again Dale.
Just got stuck on that screen.. it never warps..
im doing something wrong...

Have made a monster with action step 0 --> end anim = advance
action step 1 ---> end anim = warp

I have set warp out X,y on that screen and a warp in on the next screen..
screen type = 255
Player and monster is unvisible but im stuck, never warps

it's possible you may have more than one action step occurring in your monster file. Could you post a screen shot of how your action steps are set up?

axbakk

Heres som screens.. hopefully you get something out of them. 😊

Attachments

• C319EC99-FCD3-466E-B8D6-22B9199AFD1A.jpeg
    C319EC99-FCD3-466E-B8D6-22B9199AFD1A.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 912
  • 86729BF9-9D4A-4FFA-BA10-3AAF20D325D0.jpeg
    86729BF9-9D4A-4FFA-BA10-3AAF20D325D0.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 912
  • 808D04D4-3396-42D5-9D7F-92BAE44D57BA.jpeg
    808D04D4-3396-42D5-9D7F-92BAE44D57BA.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 912
  • C41AE966-93AA-45FE-8394-E146A71F0F3E.jpeg
    C41AE966-93AA-45FE-8394-E146A71F0F3E.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 912
  • 6C9A2C4C-450E-45D7-A994-7B017B758FA4.jpeg
    6C9A2C4C-450E-45D7-A994-7B017B758FA4.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 912

dale_coop

Staff member
Your sprite zero might be the issue here. The screen (game) is frozen. because your sprite 0 is waiting for a collision with a non transparent pixel.
So, try to place a tile (not transparent) on your screen, at the exact place of your sprite 0 (you see the small brown square on your gameplay screen... that place).

2019-10-18-12-02-49-6-C9-A2-C4-C-450-E-45-D7-A994-7-B017-B758-FA4-jpeg-paint-net-v4-2-5.png

Raftronaut

Ah yes,

Black screens are tricky to pull off,
1st, like dale says, sprite zero needs to be covered by a non-transparent color. I tend to use black as my background color, so found that if I make white screens for Level splash screens like you have here... Of course, you could select a different color as your background transparent color, then set your palette colors to black and white and paint the screen with those...

For example, this screen works because it is painted with a white tile while the background-transparent color is black..therefore sprite zero detects white tile over it and does not crash the game....I believe the same is true if you reverse them.
tape 1.PNG

Mugi

alternatively you could just add a check for your sprite zero draw in predraw.asm and have it check against a variable or screen type or whatever, and make it not draw if you're on a certain type of screen.

axbakk

Ok Will try that out. Just thought dale ment a solid tile and not non transperent color. Will test and come back to you guys.. (tried with a solid black tile right now with same result as before. 😂)

Top Bottom