Large Boss Animation Issues

n8bit

Just curious...

Has anyone solved the animation issues for bosses/monsters larger than 4 sprites tall as mentioned here by CutterCross?

http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=958&start=40

Mugi

as far as the default object routine goes. I never solved it (no need to) however, more than likely it is just a math error somewhere within the code that parses the object sprite data nesmaker stores in GameEngineData\ScreenData\objectinfo.dat
i've noticed that in the standard object system, even if your object still seemingly functions perfectly in-game, something weird starts happening in sprite ram after around 4x4 tiles size (largest objects i currently use are 5x4 sprites and the spriteram is visibly messed up in the debugger.) as far as that goes though, I havent had a reason to further debug it yet. Seeing that joe actually stores some srpite object values as decimals in the file, I wouldn't put it past me that the error is simply caused by the code attempting to parse such values as hex, causing incorrect behavior.
fixing issues related to that file might be more annoying than it sounds though, due to the way the UI handles that file, making manual changes to it extremely hard, if not impossible.

that said, i've solved this in a number of ways.
1) my own metasprite draw routine suffers from no such issues and can go up to 8x8 tiles no problem.
2) using background tile animations in conjuction with parallax scrolling also eliminates this and allows making even larger monsters. restricted to 4 frames of animation (or 8 if you sacrifice sprite functionality.)

n8bit

That is what I figured, beyond the means of making a fix worthwhile or easy.

Most likely will just adjust boss sizes and animations accordingly.

Thanks Mugi!

Mugi

I dont know how much people have actually examined the occurrence of that bug to be honest.
it was discovered quite early in nesmaker's life when most people around here including myself had no slightlest clue about how assembly or the game engine worked at all, and the whole thing was just kinda accepted as a thing
that doesnt work and forgotten heh (not too many people tried to make that big of monsters anyway.)
I honestly cant say if im even remotely in the right track with the whole thing, especially since my own research into the matter has been minimal at best. but that's pretty much where i will eventually start looking for,
when im gonna get it fixed (assuming i ever need to.)

I could post you a full metasprite draw routine if you're willing to deal with writing object tables by hand, just be warned that using mine comes with a wide array of drawbacks such as no hitboxes, no collision detection, and now readily controllable
object parameters, meaning every single thing you wish to do with the objects has to be punched in by hand.
As an added bonus, my metaspritedraw draws directly into VRAM instead of going through nesmaker's objecthandler or sprite draw, meaning that it is completely void of things such as flickering or whatever else you may have there.

doing one's own metasprite system is a wide range of work heh. Personally, i just use it for weapons but even so, generating few frames of animation and a static hitbox for those alone was a week of scratching head and punching in sprite offset tables.
i dont even want to know how much work it would be to adapt it for making an actual monster that moves.

n8bit

After a lot of trial and error I managed to get this animation on a 6x4 boss...

fJvEdZ1.gif

Used 5 frames. Anything more than 5 frames and it would start glitching. Basically frame 6-8 would be a mess. Strange that the limit was 5.

Mugi

seems to be more than enough large for it's purpose too, and this is nes after all, not like you need to have 70 frames of animations and what not.

although the whole premise of that clip spawns all kinds of wild ideas for a cutscene in my head where you enter the screen and the little eraser is doing something completely unrelated before noticing you stand there and mounting his magnificent
mech to beat you up :p

n8bit

Mugi said:
seems to be more than enough large for it's purpose too, and this is nes after all, not like you need to have 70 frames of animations and what not.

although the whole premise of that clip spawns all kinds of wild ideas for a cutscene in my head where you enter the screen and the little eraser is doing something completely unrelated before noticing you stand there and mounting his magnificent
mech to beat you up :p

You read my mind! I am considering a cutscene with that exact premise of time permits.

Top Bottom