Can't figure out how to set animations

Kitsune Mifune

Hi folks,

I'm really struggling with how animations are set within NesMaker and I'm finding the system very confusing. I get that the input section handles the actual code and moves the object around the screen, and that works fine, but I just can't seem to set any of my animations to what I want. I'm unsure how the animation settings in the object details actually works. Are the drop down menus (DOWN, DOWN/RIGHT etc.) for what happens when the player is IN that state and a button is pressed, or what to show in the case of a key release? If so, why are there no button options?

Also, the actions labelled 0-7 - are they supposed to be mapped to the controller (idle,walk etc.)? If so, there seems to be nothing which tells me which number does what, and I just can't seem to wrap my head around what's going on between all these different sections.

I'd get it if say "Pushing 'A' did action '5' ", but I can't see any sort of link between the two, or any section where you can map what actions the controller does to the actual animation. I've watched the tutorial about 5 times, but I'm just not getting how it's done, so any clarification would be great.

dale_coop

Staff member
You seemed confuse. I really really suggest to watch again the tutorial videos.

Basically, you created animations in the Object Editor... (for example, « waking left »). Then, in the Object Details, you assign the different animations to the Animation Type depending if the directions (« walking left », walking right » etc animations to a « walk » animation type)
Then, for each Action Step of the object, you can assign wich animation type he will use (for example, for the « action step 1 » you will set the animation type « walk »)
The player’s Action Steps for the platformer module:
Action Step 0 : idle
Action Step 1: walk
Action Step 2: jump
Action Step 3: attack
Action Step 4: climb
Etc

The scripts you assign to the inputs (in the Input Editor), you make the player changing Action Step... and doing something (create projectile, move, go to the air,...)

dale_coop

Staff member
No problem, I know it's not easy, nor obvious... you just need to get used to those settings ;)
Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom