Platformer. Player movement problems (falling, going left)

Amon26

So I've been working on a platformer for a while and I've got things in pretty good order, but I'm running into a few problems I can't solve. I'll try and be concise as possible.

1. When player falls into a room below and is also colliding with a left/right wall it causes the room to loop. Room reloads with player stuck at the ceiling, or warps the player into a room full of junk tiles.

2. When player tries to exit to the room on the left, they're blocked sometimes by invisible barriers. These barriers seem to match up with solid tiles that are against the right side of the screen.

3. When player exits up into a room above, the game sometimes glitches into a room full of junk tiles.

I've been trying to find the answers on the forums, but I haven't had much luck. I'm super new to assembly/NES limitations, so I hope I'm not asking something that's already been asked a billion times.

-Amon

dale_coop

Staff member
About the screen edge collision issues, there was a patch that fixed some of them...
Here: donwload that Engine Patch 4.1.1, instructions:
http://joshuafallon.com/nesmaker/?fbclid=IwAR1ZQaSV0CURv4vQv02i6BcKAM2u8zTpvwXfeye5uCeubdqc7lNThc2drnc
(the fixed scripts from that patch were not included in the 4.1.5 version, sadly)

Amon26

hmmm. i installed this but i didn't get much results.

i feel like maybe the problem with falling is caused because the speed of the player's combined vertical+horizontal speed is faster than the cpu knows what to do with? does that sound like anything?

dale_coop

Staff member
Could you share screenshots of your screens (the one where the player falls from and the ones under..?)

Amon26

here's a gif of the falling glitch. as long as i'm holding the left/right buttons while falling, it causes the player to show up from the top over and over again, gaining speed, then dumps me in a glitch room.

Attachments

• glitch1.gif
    glitch1.gif
    16.7 MB · Views: 1,218

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok... sounds a tough issue, yeah, you right it's because of the gravity, the speed, and the collision detection engine.
I forgot to ask you... which module are you using? the basics ones (simple platformer / scrolling platformer)? or the 2 player one?

dale_coop

Staff member
Have you keep the playable area / hud settings?
Your player object is set correctly? as "player" with "null" for solid/edge reactions... and the bounding box is correctly set?

I tried to reproduce your issue on my project, but couldn't.

Mugi

this has to do with the collision calculations being flat out incorrect, the issue comes from the fact that the collision engine is set to ignore multi collisions and since you are colliding with the wall, the edge collision is ignored, causing a wrap.
i think i posted a fix for this somewhere in the forum way back.

Amon26

I don't understand what you mean by "keep the playable area / hud settings?" could you explain a little more?

as for the player, it's correctly named "player" and the solid/edge reactions are null. Here is a picture with the bounding box info.

Attachments

• boundingbox.png
    boundingbox.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 959

dale_coop

Staff member
How are your HUD Area settings?

Also, I am afraid that, as Mugi said, it's an bug due to (incorrects) calculations. Not sure how to fix that.

red moon

I ended up doing something similar in a section of cave the player fell down and was able to get it working but my walls were further away and I traveled (fell) down 5 screens. It did work then, eventually I cut it down to 3 screens to simplify it...

Top Bottom