How to Add Background Tiles?

Slime Stack

I have a question about creating a background. I combed through the forums and watched the video tutorials, and couldn't find an answer.

I'm using the SImplePlatformer module for this project. I've attached a screenshot of what I've come up with so far; it's a single screen type game where you avoid enemies and collect items to advance to the next screen.

I wanted the level theme to be based around desserts. The premise of this game is that the player character, a panda, is trapped in a dessert land and eating the sweets makes its tummy hurt. So it collects bamboo to go to the next level.

I'm still playing around with the graphics, and I can't figure out how to start setting background tiles. I think having some background tiles would really add to the atmosphere and setting of the game. Would I create a bckCHR spritesheet in my graphic assets folder first, and then somehow set them to background tiles? I'm a little confused on how this works.

Attachments

• game_002.png
    game_002.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,589

Bucket Mouse

Yeah....you make your tiles, set each one into your library, and then use them. But I'm confused because you shouldn't have been able to make that screen without background tiles. What's the floor made out of?

dale_coop

Staff member
And if by "background" you mean behind your player, behind the assets, ... use tiles with "null/walkable" collision.

Slime Stack

Thanks for responding!

dale_coop, that seems so obvious now that you mention it. :oops: I got stuck thinking that the "background" would have its own tileset and be on a separate layer behind the objects that you can interact with. I think that's because I've been using photoshop for years and that program uses layers. It's hard to reconfigure myself to learning a new program, but I'm getting the hang of it! I just need to shift my thinking a bit.

Bucket Mouse, you're right, I did have all the tiles I needed, like dale_coop said, I just need to set those assets properties to "null/walkable" when I'm building those assets. The floor tiles are taken from the tutorial asset pack. I left the brick assets as is for now, and I modified the other floor tiles to those ice cream looking things. I was going for a kind of ice cream cone or wafer look for those tiles. I may redraw them though. I'm still just playing around to learn Nesmaker.

Thanks for being patient with all these n00b questions, you both are great teachers. I really appreciate all the help. :D

Mugi

you'll get the hang of it sooner or later :p
nes really has no layers to think of per se, so it's an easy thing to get used to. everything happens on a single plane, and the collisions define what is happening and how.
only concept of layers one could really apply is the fact that sprites can be drawn on top of tiles, so i suppose it classifies as a layer.

cramske

Ive been scrolling thru the forums to get insight as I am also a noob. I am also stuck on background but in a different way. just graphically! lol. but I also have a PANDA character in my game!![/img]https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/3/eyJwIjoxfQ%3D%3D/patreon-media/p/post/31429757/d00798cb37dd488791b63bced9b99115/1.jpg?token-time=1584036078&token-hash=yJ-rJ2k_LfUjvr7WJCRXekOKyxRxxZ3IN_onQGzeq84%3D[/img] shes wearing a dress;)

Top Bottom