Is it possible to flip a screen via script prior to it loading in?

Da Slippery Minx

First off, my apologies if this is in the wrong section, I look around at the options and this seemed like the best possible one at the time. Note: I moved this thread here because it seemed to be better suited in this section.

So, here's my question in it's fullest: via script is it possible to flip a screen upside down? My idea is this (in the abstract:) each screen is divided into sectors horizontally (screen 1a (bottom), 1b (top), you start on screen 1, when you finish screen 1 you go to either screen 1b (it's been flipped,) or, from screen 1a, you go to screen 2a (orb) and from screen 2 the next screen is 1b (flipped.)

Is it possible to flip screens prior to them being ready/idle? like a background process that is loaded in when you are loaded in the current screen? ie: finish screen 1, you are now on screen 2 and screen 3 (or in this case screen 1b) is loaded in to make screen transitioning seamless.

I'm thinking of ways of expanding the amount of screens the engine can offer you, so, in a sense 256 screens now becomes 512, and you can use prop/assets to hide any similarities between screen 1 "neutral" and screen 1 flipped so it seems like a totally different screen.

jorotroid

I have been thinking about this a bit, too, if I understand you correctly. Theoretically, yes, but it wouldn't be trivial. What you would essentially need to do is have a screen load backwards either horizontally, vertically, or both. You wouldn't need to pre-prep them like you are talking about, you would just need an alternate or modified screen loading code that reads the level data backwards in the preferred direction. And just to be clear, this would flip the the placements of the tiles, but not the tile graphics themselves. I would recommend starting off by poking around the LoadNametableFull macro and seeing how it gets used and try to understand what is going on in relation to it.

Top Bottom