4.5.2 Sprite/monster placement limits and tips?

CyberC

I noticed in the tile layout you only have the option to place 4 "monsters" and at least in the orientation video that also includes things like power ups as well? So Basically 4 things the player can interact with?

Is that correct, and if so, are there ways around this? Looking at the orientation project, if your player is made of 4 sprites, and the monsters are all 4 sprites, that is 20 sprites total? I understand you may want to reserve some of the 64 on screen sprites the nes can display for things like projectiles and stuff like that, but is there anywhere to edit or adjust these settings?

For instance, instead of 4 4 sprite monsters, could I have 8 2 sprite monsters, etc.

I am still very, very early on with nesmaker, but I'm curious about this more so in terms of game design. As I learn nesmaker I am designing my game as well, so I want to keep all the limits in mind.

Thanks for any help!

CutterCross

The NESmaker UI only allows you to only place 4 objects on screen (not including the player object). But you can create more objects directly with the CreateObject macro in your assembly scripts, like what is already being done in your melee and projectile input scripts. It's all a matter of diving into the underlying engine to get around the limitations of the NESmaker UI.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, you are not limited to 2x2 objects, you can do (almost) anything you want, if the UI let you create it.
from 1x1 to 8x8... But I'd suggest to not go too big, else you might have some glitches/issues sometimes (more big your objects are, more data it's using)

CyberC

Ah thanks for the clarification, good to know! Looking forward to going through the summer camp tutorials this weekend

Top Bottom