4.5.6 grid based movement for player

jcramer

How can I give my player grid based movement? Like when I press a direction, I snap directly into the next 16 x 16 tile? Using adventure module btw.

Mugi

you can read the players position by doing
Code:
    LDX player1_object

; get horizontal offset of Player
    LDA Object_x_hi,x

; get vertical offset of Player
    LDA Object_y_hi,x

on which after, if you wish for a button press for example, move the player up 16 pixels (one metatile)
you can simply do something like

Code:
    LDA Object_x_hi,x	; load x offset of X (player1 is loaded in X above)
    SEC			; set carry
    SBC #$10		; substract 16 pixels (substract for moving up, add for moving down)
    STA Object_x_hi,x	; store the new value in player1's position

jcramer

thanks for your help. I got it working for the most part. The up and left works perfectly, but the down and right gets off track. #$09 is too little and #$10 is too much. :|

mouse spirit

Mugi's answer is right on but i had a workaround in mind. Maybe someon could use 2 states. Both "walking states" that switch back and fourth every second or so, but on the 2nd state, make it so you cant move. Possibly. All this can happen when holding a direction.

jcramer

What do you mean exactly? I kinda get what you're saying. I definitely have plenty of room for work arounds because it's simplistic 80's style space arcade game.

Mugi

you can try to finetune it by writing a value to object_x_lo,x or object_y_lo,x for adjusting the subpixel positions. Im not exacly sure how joe's engine deals with the relations of the hi and lo values though, so you'll have to experiment with it a bit.

also keep in mind that the values are hex, not decimal, so #$10 means 16 in decimal, whereas #$09 is 9 in decimal
if you want to move, say 11 pixels, you use #$0B

CutterCross

jcramer said:
thanks for your help. I got it working for the most part. The up and left works perfectly, but the down and right gets off track. #$09 is too little and #$10 is too much. :|

#$10 isn't directly after #$09 btw. Remember they're hexadecimal values.

... #$08, #$09, #$0A, #$0B, #$0C, #$0D, #$0E, #$0F, #$10... etc.

mouse spirit

Awesome. I just meant like....
Start holding your walk button,so change to walk state ,but for only for 1 second.
While still holding walk button,change to stop state , but for only 1 second.
Base it off animation frames maybe, every 6 frames or at end of animation(6 frames) go to next state.
Same for the "stopped""walking"state.So you can walk,stop,walk,stop.
But it would take tweaking to make it perfect. These guys solution is much more efficient.

mouse spirit

Maybe im thinking of dragon warrior, you are thinking like pacman without walls, or like Kickle Cubicle.My bad.
My workaround would be an illusion anyway.And its a stop an go "grid" walk.

jcramer

That's a creative work around. Sort of the same thing, but would give you an animation like it's sliding into the next tile. I'll keep that in mind for when I make monsters and pick ups.

mouse spirit

Cool. Yeah it would be good for a monster to walk a square then stop, change direction and walk a square then stop.
And thanks, i am a workaround typa person.

puppydrum64

you can read the players position by doing
Code:
    LDX player1_object

LDA Object_x_hi,x

; get vertical offset of Player
    LDA Object_y_hi,x

on which after, if you wish for a button press for example, move the player up 16 pixels (one metatile)
you can simply do something like

Code:
    LDA Object_x_hi,x    ; load x offset of X (player1 is loaded in X above)
    SEC            ; set carry
    SBC #$10        ; substract 16 pixels (substract for moving up, add for moving down)
    STA Object_x_hi,x    ; store the new value in player1's position
I tried this and my character just jumps all over the place. Here is my sample code.

Code:
;;;;
    TXA
    STA temp ;; assumes the object we want to move is in x.
    GetActionStep temp
    CMP #$07
    BNE +notHurt
        RTS
    +notHurt
        StartMoving temp, #RIGHT
        TXA
        STA temp ;; assumes the object we want to move is in x.
        ChangeFacingDirection temp, #FACE_RIGHT

;; Snap to Grid by Mugi
    LDX player1_object

; get horiz. offset of player1_object
    LDA Object_x_hi,x
    SEC
    ADC #$10
    STA Object_x_hi,x
    ; get vert. offset of player1_object
    LDA Object_y_hi,x
    SEC
    ADC #$10