Adding NPC's and Monsters for Scrolling Platformer

nealportenza

Hi there,

firstly, thank-you for this amazing tool. It's been a lot of fun going through all the tutorials, and I'm still very much a noob, so apologies if this question is simple and/or has popped up anywhere else on the forum (though I have searched).

After following the tutorials, I have a very simple Left/Right scrolling 2-way platformer that is designed to be very, very simple. A start screen, a win screen and only about 5 screens to the end. I start on Screen 2, and have placed a crab monster on that screen. No problem. My issue arises when I place a Caveman NPC (for which I want trigger text to appear) on Screen 1. Even when I change the Day Monster Group in Screen Info for that screen, I still get them showing up as crab monsters in the game. I'm not sure if there's a flag that I haven't set correctly, or whether this requires some custom scripting or routines. I'm not confident enough with ASM yet to begin making changes much beyond what's in the tutorials.

I hope this somewhat makes sense, and I'd very much appreciate any guidance!

Cheers,
Josh.

Mugi

monster groups or graphics do not reload during scrolling.
what this means is whatever you set on the screen you start from, stays until you do a screen transition.
with scrolling, you're scrolling into the next screen, so nothing reloads, this includes anything set in screen settings, because the screen is not reloaded so previously loaded settings still apply.

dale_coop

Staff member
Also, don't forget to grab the 4.5.6 version here: thenew8bitheroes.com/byteoff2020/ and follow the new tutorials (depending of the genre you want to make)

Top Bottom