Scrolling Platformer- issues with using paths

Fawxen

I just recently learned about paths and how they can be used in platformer games to make backgrounds.
However when I go to test the game after applying the paths they look like the top image instead of the bottom, is there something i'm doing wrong and can this be fixed?

I even tried some tutorial assets thinking that maybe the paths i made were the problem but it appears to not be the case.

Apologies if there was a topic similar to this prior to me posting but I couldn't find any solutions to this problem
Thanks in advance.

path ingame.png
path_editor.png

AllDarnDavey

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but I'm pretty sure paths don't currently work with scrolling.

The pathing code needs to know what tiles next to a path tile are also the same path tile to work, hard to make that work when they come in a column at a time (probably not impossible though). Plus both path and scroll code is pretty performance heavy so it's hard to fit them both into the same game.

Jonny

I had the exact same problem when changing to 4.5.6, before that mine worked perfectly on a scrolling platformer.

I ended up abandoning my path tiles and using double main and to screen specific tile sets to get almost the same result. If its performance heavy then maybe try a different way to get the look you want. Love your character sprite btw.

Probably shouldn't say give up on the feature alltogether; im just saying what I ended up doing. I tried a few different things to get them to work but im not a coder so I dare say its possible.

Try different tile layouts maybe.

Fawxen

AllDarnDavey said:
Sorry to be the one to tell you, but I'm pretty sure paths don't currently work with scrolling.

The pathing code needs to know what tiles next to a path tile are also the same path tile to work, hard to make that work when they come in a column at a time (probably not impossible though). Plus both path and scroll code is pretty performance heavy so it's hard to fit them both into the same game.

Well with that information in mind I think I can find a work around with some areas being single screen and others scrolling with tileset assets applied.
Thank you for telling me.

AllDarnDavey

You might want to test that it works on screens without scrolling. I haven't double checked myself, but I thought it was modules without scrolling like maze, adventure, and arcade platformer have a load screen script that support using paths. Modules with scrolling like MetroidVania, shooter, and L2R scrolling platformer have a screen load with path code removed.

I could be wrong, but you might want to do a test to make sure before you're too far into you game.

CutterCross

In your Script Settings, there is a define for Handle Path Data. On every module other than Maze Game (to my knowledge), the file its linked to is blank.asm. But from what I've heard from other users, it requires more than just redirecting that define to the actual path data script. Haven't tested that myself though, didn't really have a need for paths in my project.

Jonny

CutterCross said:
In your Script Settings, there is a define for Handle Path Data. On every module other than Maze Game (to my knowledge), the file its linked to is blank.asm. But from what I've heard from other users, it requires more than just redirecting that define to the actual path data script. Haven't tested that myself though, didn't really have a need for paths in my project.

Never thought to check that. In fact, I vaguely remember one of the newer tutorial videos mentioning they're not implemented. Would be interesting to see how well / if paths work with scrolling modules but like CC I don't need them either. In earlier versions it was a way to get extra screen tiles but thats not the case anymore.

Fawxen

AllDarnDavey said:

unknown.png

it does appear to work with non scrolling screens, clouds not being an issue because they were kinda incomplete as is.

Fawxen

AllDarnDavey said:
You might want to test that it works on screens without scrolling. I haven't double checked myself, but I thought it was modules without scrolling like maze, adventure, and arcade platformer have a load screen script that support using paths. Modules with scrolling like MetroidVania, shooter, and L2R scrolling platformer have a screen load with path code removed.

I could be wrong, but you might want to do a test to make sure before you're too far into you game.

unknown.png

appears to work with non scrolling screens.
don't know whats up with the clouds though maybe theyre incomplete.

Fawxen

Jonny said:
I had the exact same problem when changing to 4.5.6, before that mine worked perfectly on a scrolling platformer.

I ended up abandoning my path tiles and using double main and to screen specific tile sets to get almost the same result. If its performance heavy then maybe try a different way to get the look you want. Love your character sprite btw.

Probably shouldn't say give up on the feature alltogether; im just saying what I ended up doing. I tried a few different things to get them to work but im not a coder so I dare say its possible.

Try different tile layouts maybe.

Thank you! I'll try to get an introductory post up about what this is, just focusing on getting things right before anything's final. Been over 2 years since i last consistently used NES maker so i'm relearning the basics and new things.

CutterCross

Fawxen said:
appears to work with non scrolling screens.
don't know whats up with the clouds though maybe theyre incomplete.

Those "incomplete" tiles are the last tile of your path tileset. They're arranged like this:

wl8J5me.png

q9IBUmZ.png

Jonny

Fawxen said:
Thank you! I'll try to get an introductory post up about what this is, just focusing on getting things right before anything's final. Been over 2 years since i last consistently used NES maker so i'm relearning the basics and new things.

A lot has changed in that time. Looking forward to seeing more about your rootin' tootin' game :D

Top Bottom