Turtle Rescue

TurtleRescueNES

Toby is visiting new locations including an aquarium. Once animated tiles are introduced, these should really pop with sea life. Until then, I'm using NPCs.

Attachments

• ezgif-3-c6b0a37f6e.gif
    ezgif-3-c6b0a37f6e.gif
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,834

TurtleRescueNES

Sorry for the lack of updates. With 4.1.0 on the horizon, I'm expecting to have to rebuild my game, so I have not invested a lot of time in level design only to have to do it all over again. I have been working on a new boss character and building other sprites that will easily move into the next edition.

As I've learned from earlier total rebuilds, somehow you get smarter and become more efficient with your limited workspace. I've found I can do more on a screen that I originally thought, and now rethinking how I want to layout my graphic banks for efficiency. All boring stuff for the player who never sees it, but things that will make my life easier as I build screens.

So until the next big update, here's a GIF of Toby wandering atop the Turtle Rescue logo.

Attachments

• ezgif-1-53d5e0aa70dc.gif
    ezgif-1-53d5e0aa70dc.gif
    110 KB · Views: 3,778

stevenshepherd

Haha very nice :) I think a lot of us are in the same boat and why there hasn't been a ton of activity here (or less than usual). We're all waiting for the next version.

TurtleRescueNES

Another weekend, another animated GIF!

Today, Toby decided to take a stroll to a lighthouse. There were some pesky seagulls there trying to ruin his peaceful day, so Toby gave them a taste of his yo-yo. But what is with that "star" block and where does it lead Toby? To be continued...

Attachments

• ezgif-1-2d93a932901d.gif
    ezgif-1-2d93a932901d.gif
    441.6 KB · Views: 3,721

TurtleRescueNES

Dirk said:
Cool! Did you make tall sprites or are the shadows extra sprites?

Thanks! The shadows and birds are all one monster. The only time the birds can attack, as well as be vulnerable to attack, are when they have lowered themselves to the ground.

Dirk

@jsherman: Nice, thanks for the explanation. I might introduce bird enemies too and was wondering how to handle them. I think I'll go the same route.

TurtleRescueNES

While there hasn't been much game progress to report, I did make one significant move forward with the development of my game... the box art! Much like the old days, I contacted an artist giving him my ideas, a rough sketch, and some pixel art of the primary characters. But unlike some of the box art of old (I'm looking at you, Mega Man 1), he knocked it out of the park! This is only the first mock up, so I expect much of the layout to change, but seeing this makes the game feel so much more real.

Artist link: https://www.deviantart.com/demetriobraga

Attachments

• mockup.jpg
    mockup.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 4,604

TurtleRescueNES

In this latest preview, Toby enters the spooky lighthouse. It's dark and creepy, but luckily, no enemies are in there today. But in the completed game, there will bats swarming at Toby. Because every game needs bats! :mrgreen:

There will be a purpose to go to the top of the lighthouse, but that will be something for another time.

ezgif-6-3b1d9932fadd.gif

TurtleRescueNES

HAPPY NES YEAR EVERYONE! (not a typo)

So it's been a couple months since my last update. Partly because work and the holidays have taken their toll on my schedule, and also partly because NESMaker 4.1 has been in development (but very soon to being released as I type this.) But I have been working on other aspects of the game, including the marketing of the game, box art, and refreshed logo.

That brings me to today's reveal. I've just launched "GossipTurtle," a fourth wall breaking social media account that will appear both here in the real world, and in the in-game world of "Turtle Rescue." GossipTurtle is armed with knowledge of all things related to the game, and is here to give both you and the hero game tips, secrets and other news.

Currently, only on Twitter at the address @TurtleRescueNES (I was shocked that there were already Gossip Turtle accounts out there). So if you are on Twitter, please give the account a follow. I'll still post development updates here, but I plan on the Twitter account to be a little more fun, giving you a closer look to the world and story of "Turtle Rescue!" I'll be sure to return the follows as our NESMaker community grows!

Attachments

• twitterscreenshot.jpg
    twitterscreenshot.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 3,398

stevenshepherd

Congrats!

How did you create the account? Facebook won't let you have 2 accounts with the same phone number. Or is this a "page" the way one would make a page for a business?

TurtleRescueNES

stevenshepherd said:
Congrats!

How did you create the account? Facebook won't let you have 2 accounts with the same phone number. Or is this a "page" the way one would make a page for a business?

This is a new Twitter account, not a Facebook account. My regular Facebook account won't be a source for updates, though I may "pimp" updates in the NESMaker Facebook group pointing them to the Twitter page. I don't want to be too spammy there, where I feel I can do a little more of that here and on Twitter.

Top Bottom