Turtle Rescue

TurtleRescueNES

Redherring32 said:
Congrats, I'm glad to see that your game is coming along so well! :)

Thanks! I'm really excited to see what 4.1 introduces for what we can do without having to dive into the code.
I have a notebook of gameplay ideas that I haven't even begun to explore implementing.

TurtleRescueNES

dale_coop said:
Thank you, jsherman, for the news... great news indeed!
Will follow you, of course <3

Thanks, Dale! I'm glad to see you're a mod here now. Very fitting given how much you've done for the community so far! :)

dale_coop

Staff member
Thank you.
And I am glad to see that the adventures of Toby are not over ;) and you’re still working on the game. Can’t wait to play more :)

Mugi

i love all the little details you've given to this project really, here i thought im a perfectionist, and im like lightyears behind you :p
that cover art totally has the oldschool nes game vibe in it.

CutterCross

jsherman said:
HAPPY NES YEAR EVERYONE! (not a typo)

So it's been a couple months since my last update. Partly because work and the holidays have taken their toll on my schedule, and also partly because NESMaker 4.1 has been in development (but very soon to being released as I type this.) But I have been working on other aspects of the game, including the marketing of the game, box art, and refreshed logo.

That brings me to today's reveal. I've just launched "GossipTurtle," a fourth wall breaking social media account that will appear both here in the real world, and in the in-game world of "Turtle Rescue." GossipTurtle is armed with knowledge of all things related to the game, and is here to give both you and the hero game tips, secrets and other news.

Currently, only on Twitter at the address @TurtleRescueNES (I was shocked that there were already Gossip Turtle accounts out there). So if you are on Twitter, please give the account a follow. I'll still post development updates here, but I plan on the Twitter account to be a little more fun, giving you a closer look to the world and story of "Turtle Rescue!" I'll be sure to return the follows as our NESMaker community grows!

Awesome! Man, I should do something like this...

TurtleRescueNES

CutterCross said:
Awesome! Man, I should do something like this...

I feel it's ironic that I'm even doing this as I've never been a big social media person. Lately, I'm only on Facebook for the NESMaker group. But I think this has some marketing/preview potential.

TurtleRescueNES

Mugi said:
i love all the little details you've given to this project really, here i thought im a perfectionist, and im like lightyears behind you :p
that cover art totally has the oldschool nes game vibe in it.

Thanks for the kind words! I've seen your project. You are not light years behind anyone! :)

Mugi

jsherman said:
Thanks for the kind words! I've seen your project. You are not light years behind anyone! :)

I don't know... having one room and semi-broken physics doesnt really account to much. I just want to get that part down first before i get on to level/monster/whatever designs. I have a pretty good idea of what kind of physics, mechanics, custom tiles et cetera i need, so i'll just stick to my test room until i get those working, and move on with the level designs afterwards.

TurtleRescueNES

I am progressing slowly, but surely. I learned a lot this weekend and managed to get a mostly stable engine in place for my game. I managed to start sneaking in a couple customizations as well, but still need to tweak them. All in all, productive weekend.

TurtleRescueNES

A couple of Turtle Rescue updates have made it to the web!

First, on the official Turtle Rescue Twitter account (link in signature), you can see the Gossip Turtle social media account's first ever simul-cast both in the real world and in the in-game world. At any point in his quest, Toby the Turtle can open that feed for tips and secrets!

Then over at www.thenew8bitheroes.com, Joe G posted a great video featuring many awesome games in the works. Turtle Rescue is there, and it has the first appearance of a new boss creature for Toby to face!

Mugi

cool stuff :p
The croco boss looks neat!

I didnt make it to the showcase, not much to show yet i guess, heh.

TurtleRescueNES

Progress update! I am slowly plotting out the beginnings of my game. Not a lot of coding changes under the hood, rather I'm using NESmaker to the fullest of its core abilities to tell the story of "Turtle Rescue." I have seven NPC turtles set up thus far, including a cameo by another famous NESmaker turtle. I might have to tinker some colors to get him to show up better against the sand.

Attachments

• kubo.png
    kubo.png
    4 KB · Views: 3,172

TurtleRescueNES

"Well, believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and...I went ahead anyway."
- Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie

This quote has been in my head all weekend. I took a huge, crazy gamble with my game this weekend, and it's finally paying off! I have a LOT of fun surprises in store for the Turtle Rescue demo game that will be released as part of the NESmaker competition. I don't want to spoil much, so in this update I will simply confirm that the original racoon boss has survived the transition to 4.1.X!

Attachments

• ezgif-3-006e14bd29c1.gif
    ezgif-3-006e14bd29c1.gif
    381.2 KB · Views: 3,100
Top Bottom